BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 39 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #571 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jeff View Post
Was bitterly disappointed to find that the road to Cypress Peak/Brew Peak is no longer low clearance 2WD accessible. There's a stretch of large rocks and ruts a little past the Roe Creek bridge at about 6.4km that was just a big ol' repair bill waiting to happen. Anything with more reasonable clearance shouldn't have a problem getting through.
For those with decent clearance: once you get past the rocky washout that Jeff references, 2WDs can get pretty easily up to within 100-200 meters of the "2WD parking" marked on the VOC map (there is a tricky bit where the second spur branches to the left off of R-200). A Subie made it to the 4WD lot, along with a full range of medium-clearance 4WD SUVs like my sucky CRV. A low-clearance minivan did make it to the R-200 junction (i.e. past the washout Jeff mentions) but I suspect it hurt a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We did a 6 night trip to the Ape Lake area from July 21st to the 27th. I was expecting to get devoured by the mosquitoes but they were surprisingly tame, even in meadow areas. I didn't have to use my headnet and ended up with a grand total of 3 bites, all in areas that didn't have clothes/bug juice protection.

Also, the wildflowers were at full bloom at ~2000 meters on the NW side of Musician Mountain, with just insane numbers of Lupine, Asters, and Paintbrush. The Lupines/Asters were past peak down near Ape Lake but there were good numbers of Dwarf Fireweed. However, the wildflowers were surprisingly absent at ~2000 meters NW of Jacobsen Lake. We again saw just a carpet of wildflowers on the SE side of Mt. Jacobsen at around 1700 meters. All in all, the wildflowers made for some pretty great photography!

Last edited by SirBC; 08-03-2016 at 11:59 PM.
post #573 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I went up Tricouni on Monday.
TH was driveable with a good clearance 4x4.
All 3 lakes were snow-free.
Muddy sections all along during the first hour of hiking. Though was fairly simple to avoid anything ankle-deep.
I've read there may be a trail on the rocky West side of the creek, but everyone I saw was using the muddy East side. Anyone know details?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Did you come up High Falls Ck or from the Chance Ck side? I have kind of lost the thread of which access is working best and want to get up there soon, without a lot of faffing about.
post #575 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyclimber View Post
Did you come up High Falls Ck or from the Chance Ck side? I have kind of lost the thread of which access is working best and want to get up there soon, without a lot of faffing about.
Have u considered a quick helicopter ride from Squamish then Mike?
post #576 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnabyhiker View Post
I've read there may be a trail on the rocky West side of the creek, but everyone I saw was using the muddy East side. Anyone know details?
There is some more info about the west side trail in this thread:
https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hikin...dows-west.html

Thanks for the road condition update!
post #577 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
There is some more info about the west side trail in this thread:
https://forums.clubtread.com/11-hikin...dows-west.html

Thanks for the road condition update!
Interesting back story. I wish I had gone down to check out bridge condition.
And yes I came up the High Falls Creek side.
post #578 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Braved the crowds at Garibaldi Lake last weekend. The annual Black Tusk meadows flower show is on - everything is blooming. The reservation system at the campground seems to be working - it was nice to roll in by headlamp on Friday night and have a reserved spot waiting for us.

While I have never heard of there being bears in the campground, there was a problem with a food-conditioned bear at the Garibaldi Lake campground last weekend and in the previous week. It came through the campground on Saturday afternoon with tons of people around - apparently, it has learned to scavenge food and garbage from campsites and was spotted near one of the cooking shelters. The rangers scared it off with a banger but since it had been hanging around for a week or more they had a conservation officer fly in on Sunday morning to put it down.

Last edited by happiestoutdoors; 08-22-2016 at 05:06 PM.
post #579 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I am thinking of hiking Singing Pass and Musical Bumps again. Has the slump gotten much worse since I was there two years ago? Is the rope still in place? Thanks!
post #580 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Bumping this thread, which for some reason has gone for a month without any updates.

Eryne and I hiked to Serpentine Lake near Hope last weekend. Road is in good shape (need hc 4x4 for waterbars). Presently, leave logging road right by a claim post marked "Chris 19 " or something like that. Follow copious flagging tape up swath of trees between two cutblocks to pick up the trail in the forest in 200 m or so. A few blow downs on the trail, nothing serious though.

We met two parties coming down as we were hiking up around noon.

Lots of evidence of people camping at the lake and not burying their shit - big piles of TP in certain spots in the woods. Otherwise, nice little trail close to Hope.
post #581 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 AM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default BR700 of Squamish valley river FSR- update Sept 13 2016

BR700 of Squamish valley river FSR has ACTIVE logging on it , so it is in perfect shape: no potholes or waterbars, probably any AWD car can make it to the top. There are a few very steep turns so a regular car will have hard time on them...

This branch give you access to Shovelnose Creek "trail" that leads to one the most amazing 360 degrees views within 2h drive from Vancouver
The trail itself requires bushwhacking for 20 min, but after that you start seeing some flagging in the trees and a small foot path that you can follow to the alpine, from where you can make your own way to a multitude of peaks, ridges..etc.
post #582 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Hiked the Tikwalus Heritage Trail (aka First Brigade Trail) in the Fraser Canyon on Sunday with Eryne and burndug. Perfect temperatures for this hike and, relevant to complaints about crowds, we were the only ones on the trail all day. We carried out some garbage from one of the overnight camp spots. Highlight of the day was 8 baby squirrels in a hollow tree.
post #583 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Hiked the Tikwalus Heritage Trail (aka First Brigade Trail) in the Fraser Canyon on Sunday with Eryne and burndug. Perfect temperatures for this hike and, relevant to complaints about crowds, we were the only ones on the trail all day. We carried out some garbage from one of the overnight camp spots. Highlight of the day was 8 baby squirrels in a hollow tree.
Thanks for the update, and nice to know there's still trails around without swarms of people. Did you notice many ticks out and about, since that area seems to be notorious for them? Also, any recent tips (from you or others) on the state of the Gate Mountain/1858 Gold Rush trail in the same area?
post #584 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

I haven't hiked the Gate Mtn trail for like 15 years, but I expect it's in pretty reasonable shape. Maybe a few trees down across the trail. No ticks about on Sunday. It might be ticky in spring.
post #585 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Also, the vine maples around 1000 m elevation in the Fraser Canyon and Coquihalla areas are really going off right now. Heard the larches are too

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page