BC Recent Conditions Reports - Page 29 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Banned

Went up Pretty Peak today. Drove to about 3.5km, then stopped by snow. Rough 4x4 road. Later, an axe or chainsaw will be needed to drive beyond 5km(ish). Broke trail to summit, but it was my first time there with poor visibility, so my route is probably a bit wonky. Lots of spring snow bombs and evidence of small loose snow avalanches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Joffre trail is well packed but is getting a bit wet and quite slippery on the steeper sections. Mar 31, had a great dad+daughter hike up to third lake but needed microspikes/yak trax etc. to make the best of it. Whiskeyjacks are out in full force. two of them pinched a chunk of my snickers bar right while I was munching on it.

Saw some incredible ski tracks coming right down off of Mt Slalok. You can see them in the pic if you zoom in

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2022 at 03:19 PM.
post #423 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:14 AM
Scaling New Heights

Cascades trail up Mosquito Creek has a lot of blowdown from the winter. A huge amount. The waterfall was nice though. Dreamweaver past Cascades/Dreamweaver/Per Gynt junction has a new giant log down over a gully just before Kwai bridge that almost makes the trail impassable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Snow consolidating nicely on Elk Ridge, you can boot walk it. Beyond the Thurston Cairn, recommend snowshoes as snow about 2 meters deep in the meadow.

On south and west facing slopes, largely snow free except for the very top.

The trail to the lookout (1300 meters) is snow free

Karl
post #425 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Went up Iago on Saturday. Still plenty of snow up at the Coquihalla summit; though a little slushy due to the temperature. Snowshoes pretty much from the get-go. If it had been cooler I probably wouldn't have needed them until the Ottomite-Iago junction, or beyond.

Semper fudge
post #426 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Watersprite-Martin Peak area

Snow line is only 15 min(around 900m) away from the parking lot, so not much to carry your skis

A bit tricky to find safe crossings through the meadows, so we took parallel trail that doesn't cross the main creek.

Tough to ski snow in the forest, but amazing spring stuff above the lake. Careful with the solar effect in the afternoon, as I've seen a few new releases from high up.
Amazing area!
post #427 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Went up Harvey's North Ramp on Saturday (detailed report here). It's not really "in" any more. There's a rock band about 2/3 of the way up that made for a fair bit more excitement than you'd normally expect on that route. The standard (West Ridge) route, is quite nice right now though.
post #428 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Went up Harvey's North Ramp on Saturday (detailed report here). It's not really "in" any more. There's a rock band about 2/3 of the way up that made for a fair bit more excitement than you'd normally expect on that route. The standard (West Ridge) route, is quite nice right now though.
Thanks for the update. Was giving that route a passing thought recently but looks like I'd just go up the normal route then.
post #429 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Garibaldi lake starting to melt had to look for a spot to get back on the lake at Sentinel bay, on the way back my heel went thru so i quickly put my snow shoes back on, was able to punch my pole thru the ice in several places.
post #430 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jeff View Post
Went up Iago on Saturday. Still plenty of snow up at the Coquihalla summit; though a little slushy due to the temperature. Snowshoes pretty much from the get-go. If it had been cooler I probably wouldn't have needed them until the Ottomite-Iago junction, or beyond.

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.

Last edited by mazeGirl; 04-14-2016 at 09:49 PM.
post #431 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking/hiking, reading, sewing

I'd like to explore Elk Lakes PP this weekend, coming in from the Alberta side. Can anyone tell me what trail conditions are like in there? Is there still a lot of snow? Avalanche concerns? Any help would be much appreciated.
post #432 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default Metal Dome- from Brandywine road April 24 2016

Parked around 1000m elevation and within 100m there was enough snow on the road for skiing/snowshoeing.
The snow was a slush fest all the way into the alpine,around 1600m or so, from where a nice crust covered with fresh snow was holding nicely: the north facing bowls were covered as well in 10cm of fresh stuff.
No snowmobiles there this weekend but plenty of old tracks around.

Crazy weather though: sun, rain,snow and then sun again.

ps: the bears are out as we saw one on our way back, way lower than the snowline.

post #433 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

On 160423 we hiked valley trails in Pemberton. The flowers and the mossies are both out. The mossies were voracious!

On the afternoon and evening of 160423 some members of the ACCWhistler crew took out the blowdown on Cougar East Alpine Route from the Welcome To Whistler sign to 1250m elevation. We took out about 40 deadfalls and for the most part there was no snow to cross to 1250m. There is still snow higher up, but it was not a bad walking surface in the shade. No mossies!

On 160424 we hiked a number of trails from the valley floor up to the lower section of Jaws at 1250m. Slightly different aspect and we hit two feet of snow right around 1250m. We did not continue up as the slide alder was completely splayed under the snow and that's no fun at any time. Billy Epic, Old Binty's, the Flank and 27 Switchbacks were all snowfree and in very good condition. Again, we removed all deadfall and some of the major wind-pruned branches from the winter season.

Freezing level dropped to 1300m last night and the snow crusted up for this morning...

Fun is where you make it...
post #434 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

We were up on Zoa last tuesday. There was barely enough snow at the bottom to not have to walk a bit. From now on you'll probably have to talk off your skis a bit on the pipeline road.
post #435 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Smile clean up

There are 44 pages going back to 2013 if this about current conditions could a moderator delete anything that is 6 or 12 months old. I wasn't paying attention and got some beta on the snow conditions of 2013. Not sure how relevant that is. I realize moderator is most likely a volunteer job but it would make searching conditions easier. Also please make the title of your post about your area for quick searching. Thanks and my apologies if this is already posted somewhere else.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page