Dayhiker from abroad... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Dayhiker from abroad...

Hi there, Id like to say hello from Germany

My wife and I like hiking but unfortunately were living in a flat area, so we mainly do that during our vacations. Thats the reason why we prefer easier routes between 5-8 hours (app. 12 km with 1200m elevation or 25 km with no elevation) without scrambling (no "use of our hands") ad without any special gear like snowshoes, ropes etc.

Weve already visited some national parks in the US and Canada (e. g. Olympic, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper...) but this time we would like to focus on canada. Until now it was pretty difficult to find such routes for dayhikes, so Im very happy that I found this website now!!!

Our next trip will be starting our roundtrip early in june 2017 (4 weeks) in Seattle. This time wed like to focus on canada so Im very happy to get some ideas where to stay longer (Vancouver Island, Whistler, Jasper, Banff) because Im a little bit afraid of snow especially in Banff and Jasper. But probably that should be discussed in the right thread?

Oh: Im pleased about any corrections of spelling and grammar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Hello kossi, welcome to ClubTread!

I don't have much information to offer for your trip as I'm from the flatter part of Canada (Ontario)

Hiking in Germany is on my list for sure. My last trip to Berlin didn't afford me enough time to go exploring. One day! Would you care to share some of your local hikes with us in Other Regions? I'd love to get some ideas and start my dream-planning
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

@kossi There are many places to explore and you could easily spend a week anywhere along the west coast. If you're starting in Washington State, I recommend visiting Mount Baker. I'm more familiar with it's north side, but there are loads of excellent trails on its slopes. The ski resort is a good starting point as you can drive up in a 2WD car, visiting Artist Point, Ptarmigan Ridge, Table Mountain etc.

Once you narrow down where you're going, you can ask more questions. There is much to see.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

@VSDM: Thank you! Ill do my best to add some routes in Germany (but usually its difficult to combine a trip to Berlin with hiking, nightlife there can be very exhausting...)
@guntis: Thanks for the idea, Mt Baker looks very nice, might be great for the end of our trip. What do you think about snow, could that be a problem in June? Weve only visited one place in the North Cascades yet (I think it was Thornton Lakes) and we really liked it.

I think Ill start a new thread with my route.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
@VSDM: Thank you! Ill do my best to add some routes in Germany (but usually its difficult to combine a trip to Berlin with hiking, nightlife there can be very exhausting...)
@guntis: Thanks for the idea, Mt Baker looks very nice, might be great for the end of our trip. What do you think about snow, could that be a problem in June? Weve only visited one place in the North Cascades yet (I think it was Thornton Lakes) and we really liked it.

I think Ill start a new thread with my route.
Snow will very likely be a consideration in June for the Washington Cascades. The last numbers I read were 100% of normal. Probably a good idea to have a list of choices, from various elevations in case snow persists.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpalmer View Post
Snow will very likely be a consideration in June for the Washington Cascades. The last numbers I read were 100% of normal. Probably a good idea to have a list of choices, from various elevations in case snow persists.
Im trying to find out if there are parks with a lower risk of too much snow. But then I try to find some alternative routes in these parks on a low level... Thats not easy but this forum is very helpful
alpalmer likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Here is a link to Washington Trails Association for early season hikes. Hikes that stay below the 1500 to 1700 meter mark will most likely avoid most late spring snow.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasona...king-northwest
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
Im trying to find out if there are parks with a lower risk of too much snow. But then I try to find some alternative routes in these parks on a low level... Thats not easy but this forum is very helpful

The challenge with June is that much of the snow melt in the mountains occurs in the May/June time frame. Depending on weather it can be highly variable, sometimes a single week can mean the difference between 30cm of snow and nothing.

You can monitor the snowpack in South Central Alberta here (http://environment.alberta.ca/apps/b...=10&DataType=4) which covers Banff, Kananaskis and Waterton (and even a few points in Glacier NP in the US) . It will give you good data on current snowpack conditions at various locations. The quartile lines will give you the typical ranges when these areas will be snow free, but the last few years have been all over the place
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Summit Master

I think this season snow will linger longer than last few as we had lots of precipitation, both in Rockies and on the Coast. It will also depend on what kind of April we have --- huge wet front(s) coming from Pacific can dump 1/2 - 1m of snow in Rockies and push summer season couple of weeks later
alpalmer likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

@alpalmer: Thank you for the useful link!
@kellymcdonald78: So probably I need to plan many alternatives. Thanks for the link, it seems that there is a huge amount of snow at present... @zeljkok: Is there, in general, a typical difference in weather between coast (especially strathcona) and the rockies? I would expect that there is less snow closer to the coast?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page