US = United States of America From Here to WOW - Part 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default From Here to WOW - Part 2

Few years back during the tour of Utah/Arizona I created From Here to Wow - Photo Teaser thread I kept adding photos as I went along. Now is time for 2nd part; I might eventually do few full-blown reports. Enjoy!

Episode 1: Capitol Reef:

Kohab Canyon -- Frying Pan -- Cassidy Arch

Great moderate hike combining segments of 3 trails for full loop and awesome scenery. Casidy Arch (as in "Butch Cassidy", train robber who had hideout in Grand Wash) steals the show

Click image for larger version

Name:	fernszoom.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	197369
Telephoto of Ferns Nipple from Frying Pan segment

Name:	cassidy1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	197361
Cassidy Arch; Just to hike to Arch from Grand Wash Trailhead is fairly strenuous with fair amount of elevation gain
alpalmer, PhilR and VSDM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Clearly, there is something wrong there - there is no snow! Nice rock colours and a history as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Clearly, there is something wrong there - there is no snow! Nice rock colours and a history as well.
still very cold overnight, below freezing. Camping at over 2000m elev & freezing every night. Days are warm though, best for hiking, no bugs and not too hot.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Episode 2: Capitol Reef

Two separate hikes for full day; spectacular conditions

1) Chimney Rock
loop hike about 5 miles return that totally blew me away. Can not recommend enough. Try to be here late afternoon; setting sun will put these rocks on fire

Name:	selfoverlook.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	197401
Self-timed shot looking at my afternoon objective - Navajo Knobs (upper center). Note clothing -- despite sun, it was not warm

2. Navajo Knobs
Copelands tout this as 1 of 2 "must do" hikes in Capitol Reef, and it is easy to see why. This is one long jaw dropping ridgewalk with eye candy on every step. About 9 miles return and 500m elev. Did even scramble what seemed higher knob. Fab full moon rising over the park on descent.

Name:	knobs1.jpg
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	197417
Navajo Knobs; I scrambled the left one. Right actually had cairn, but it was out of reach for me (class 5)

Name:	fullmoondescent.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	197409
Moondawn over Capitol Reef
dougz and VSDM like this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Looks like there's plenty of place to visit in UT too.
Before this I only know there are Zion, Bryce, Arches and Momument Valley. Now one more on the "list".

Those pictures made me doing some brief researches about Ferns Nipple and Navajo Knobs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
Looks like there's plenty of place to visit in UT too.
Before this I only know there are Zion, Bryce, Arches and Momument Valley. Now one more on the "list".

Those pictures made me doing some brief researches about Ferns Nipple and Navajo Knobs.
There are tons of places in Utah; it's one big Wonderland. Watch this thread for next couple of weeks.

Re Ferns Nipple: I think it is technical climb, but Knobs are scramble-able. The one in my report is referred to as "Trail Knob", but there is higher one further NE & labeled "class 4 scramble" on summitpost.

Here's something that might be interesting for people like you: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/ut.../cassidycanyon

My pic of Cassidy Arch was taken from the top, but people presumably rapel down then exit via Cassidy Canyon. I actually on hike out found where Cassidy Canyon starts at Grand Wash. Saw what looked like trail. Followed. Got sketchy; kept going, class 3 moves, trash but eventually figured I was going to get over my head and turned back. But it was clear it sees traffic, as this post confirms. There are no summit cairns to tag, but it is different type of challenge.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interlude: Capitol Reef to Escalante + Devils Garden

Scenic byway 12 over Aquarius plateau on Boulder Mountain -- 3000m elevation (!). Fantastic view over vast wilderness towards Henry Mountain and Escalante Monument all the way south towards Navajo mountain on border of Utah/Arizona. Then on approaching Escalante finally saw ultra-famous "Hole in the Rock" road I read so much about. It is dirt road with potholes and really suited for SUVs but I don't have one & it leads to so many wonders. So I gave it a shot first 12 miles to see how it looks like; it is manageable. Now I think I might actually do Coyote Gulch backpack I've been planning for several years.

Before turning back stopped at Devils Garden and spent couple of hours photographing hoodoos, which I must say look very impressive

Name:	hoodoo2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	197497
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Episode 3: Canyons of the Escalante

Dry Fork: Peek-a-boo, Spooky and Brimstone Gulches

Name:	brimstone1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	197665

Tourists get robbed at overhyped Antelope Canyon near Page, while you can have it all much better as long as you like and for free at Dry Fork (Mile 26 of Hole in the Rock) in Escalante. In particular Brimstone Gulch which is further away and you lose everybody; starts as sandy, desert like wash then narrows dramatically; you dodge, squeeze until you can't go anymore. Simply unreal. Highly recommended!
alpalmer and PhilR like this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Episode 4: Canyons of the Escalante

1) Burr Trail - The Gulch

Burr Trail is the road that links Boulder and Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell. Got tip from employee in Escalante Info Center to go see "The Gulch" ; deep canyon cut Rattlesnake Bench, very similar to main Zion valley. Ended at Long Canyon Overlook with far reaching views SE before turning back; must come back to drive length of this road (paved except last bit to Bullfrog).

Name:	gulch1.jpg
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	197714

2) Upper Calf Creek Falls

Trail descends to impressive looking grotto with Ribbons falling over the lip high above -- water in the desert, a miracle. Well worth few hours stroll (~200m vertical, first down then up on return) -- recommended

Name:	falls1.jpg
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	197698
[Upper Calf Creek Falls]

Name:	calfgrotto.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	197690
[Calf Falls Grotto]

Finally, it seems that human waste is big problem all over Escalante. For backpacks they give you sanitary pouches (to pack your ...), and today I saw this sign above Calf Creek Falls

Name:	noshit.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	197706
[What to do when you gotta go?]

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-14-2017 at 12:24 AM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

These are such good shots and fantastic advice on trails in the area. We are planning a UT trip for the fall and I have bookmarked your TR so that I can go right back to it for reference to those trails. You've picked a great time to go, especially as weather here up north has been like that human waste sign, just plain sh i t t y ....

looking forward to more info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page