• 1 Post By martin
  • 1 Post By martin
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading
Default Inglis Falls Conservation Area - Feb 25/17

Inglis Falls is located along the Bruce Trail, just south of Owen Sound. It's about a 3 hour drive, northwest of Toronto.

We parked at the south end of the Area, where the Bruce Trail loops around and back north. The plan was to follow the southern Side Trail (Keeling - dotted Blue and Orange on the trail map) but that ended up being a wash, quite literally.

It doesn't look like much, but most was 4-6 inches deep - we know this because my hiking partner ended up unintentionally testing it (a few times). So we went back to the car where she switched out her now soaked hiking shoes for her street boots.

I went to check out Inglis Falls while I waited for her.

A pretty rainbow, but no pot o' gold! Least not one I was willing to search for at the bottom of that thunderous falls.

We decided to head the other way and follow the Bruce Trail outside the park, and loop back in from the north Harrison Park. It was much dried on the other side of the road.

But immediately after crossing the road, looping back in from the north now, where the blue dotted line meets the green line - the trail is in the process of being washed out. This is normally a snow mobile route, but they closed it for obvious reasons. We made it through relatively unscathed, hopping from snow drift to snow drift (and having some collapse beneath us).

I don't know what normal levels for this river are when not following a major thaw, but yikes! Thank goodness for those strategically placed rocks. I was half expecting this snow path to give way to the water as we crossed it too.

As we came back down the main Bruce Trail towards the washed out Keeling side trail, things became a little waterlogged again. Thankfully someone installed a bridge. It looks like they may need to extend it a bit.

InglisFallsRoute.gpx

----
We also made a pit stop at Walters Falls on the way back to the cottage, despite my hiking partner's feet being soaked through. The falls are directly off the parking area, with an optional loop around the area. We didn't do the loop and I'm sure my hiking partner's feet thanked us.

The second, and higher of the two falls in line here.

The view of the first falls, from the walkout above the second falls.
solo75 and lemike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Interesting to see something from the other side of our great country. This is one of the first winters we may have as much snow here in BC as Ontario, but it probably just feels that way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Nice report from afar! I was just thinking, it would be cool to have a big map, like the one at the start of your report, with push pins at each location of a CT report.
solo75 likes this.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Summit Master

echo the above. Very cool!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Nice report from afar! I was just thinking, it would be cool to have a big map, like the one at the start of your report, with push pins at each location of a CT report.
Do you mean a communal map where we all plot our trips? There is no plugin for this, however there is a site I've seen used on another community that might work, if I understood the suggestion correctly. I can create a map and open it to everyone; we all would be able to add points to it, with a little blurb, a picture and a link back to your TR here. Is that the idea?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDM View Post
Do you mean a communal map where we all plot our trips? There is no plugin for this, however there is a site I've seen used on another community that might work, if I understood the suggestion correctly. I can create a map and open it to everyone; we all would be able to add points to it, with a little blurb, a picture and a link back to your TR here. Is that the idea?
Yes, exactly, a map comes up with a bunch of push pins/markers, you hover over it and it says the title of the report and date, you click on it and it opens up a new window and shows the CT trip report. I guess each trip report author would have to manually add their push pins to this map. Kinda like this.
VSDM likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDM View Post
I can create a map and open it to everyone; we all would be able to add points to it, with a little blurb, a picture and a link back to your TR here. Is that the idea?
I think this is a very good idea. check out this site for trails in the Columbia valley with 'push pin' locations ... that's an idea http://cvtrails.ca/

To take it to its limit, a map (Google or Bing maps plugin?), with every TR on CT 'push pin' located at its trailhead .... I know that would be a huge job but might be a good long term project, take all CT TR's and approximate their TH location via Lat Long coordinates so they can be 'pinned' to a map. Click on the pin and up pops a TR from 10 years ago or from last week ... sweet. If a .GPX or .KML(Z) is included, even better. I'm retiring soon, I'd work on it as a long term project, to give you the TH coordinates and you pin the TR
VSDM likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 03-04-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

The current map feature I saw used on another community did function very much like these. I can adjust the input optons to include the most searched for information, like distance and time hiked - GPX can be hosted on here, is KLM(Z) another I should add? Is that two file types - KLM and KLMZ?
This map site also claims to be able to map routes, though I haven't tested that feature yet.

The map reports can be categorized by activity too; day hikes, trail running, biking, climbing, paddling, multi-day trips etc.

Currently it's an off site feature. I will have to get tech to build me a page to embed it on. In theory, that shouldn't be difficult.
There is a list option on this map site as well, to the left side of it, sorted by name by default.

Here is the map I've been toying with: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2436827
Take a look and let me know what you all think.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page