Jumpup point Grand Canyon - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Hiking, photography,
Default Jumpup point Grand Canyon

Wow! Jumpup point is one of many points and places of exploration along the grand canyon's north rim in the Kaibab Natl Forest. You don't even need a permit or fee. You are in the natl forest until you "STEP off the rim" as one ranger so eloquently put it....[:0]
too funny....

Anyway, got up pretty early and after my Starbucks Venti Carmel Mocchiato I hit the road for the Jacob Lake, located on the T road of hwy 67 (north rim rd) and Arizona 89-A (what, did they run out of numbers for roads? 89 and 89-A? )
This took just under two hours. I definitely didn't speed this time through the Reservation. I got a $ 375 dollar ticket before. [V]
Once at Jacob lake, I took a myriad of roads that would put anyone to sleep if I listed them all on my way to JUMPUP CANYON located about 40 miles southwest of Jacob Lake junction. All dirt roads. Some nice.... others were challenging. Never saw another person the whole way! Seemed to have the whole Kaibab (means plateau or mesa)
all to myself! cool!

Once there, I spent three hours hiking along the knife edge of this divide.

To the left, these pictures are of Jumpup canyon as it's drainage joins the labyrinth of twisted, canyons, that eventually flow into the Colorado river at the Grand canyon off in the distance.

Ahhh... no one but me.... Hey! I got a chair for ya! come on my porch and set awhile?

Off to the right is Kabab Creek Wilderness area drainage. so desolate and stark! the binoculars made it nice, too. I could see into everything!

Lots of lizards.

Oh, yes, on Jumpup divide, there is a trail leading to the canyons you see below. I think it would be an immense challenge with all the dropoffs, pouroffs, desert heat, whew! I will be going to do a full day hike to an island in the middle of the canyons called powell
from soggy flat to Powell and back up to the north rim full day hike. I will let you know how it goes with a full trip report and directions. That would offer many of you a chance to hike to a little plateau in the middle of it all where you are like on an island in the sky and can view the canyon 360 degrees style. I would love to do a hike with anyone of you who is in the area. Provided its a day hike;
an agreement with my family for them letting me romp around. This Powell hike is very intimate with the canyon and hardly or NO tourists... let me know once I post the trip report or maybe add it to your hike list for when you come out next time to the Grand Canyon and do it yourself

Cheers!

----------------------------------------
May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Another cool report, RM. Gotta love those views!

I think the "-A" stands for "Access" - 89-A gives you access to the 89.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rented Mule

what, did they run out of numbers for roads? 89 and 89-A?
Oh - and thanks for the invite! I'd love to do some exploration down your way sometime
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

Yes, great shots Jerry, as it gives us 'Northerners' a sense of the immensity of the canyon areas and thanks for the invite! [8D] That chair and it's views does look inviting
Guess you'd need a couple gallons of water for an all day dayhike there.

--------------------------------------------
....my memory is just like a steel trap..............rusty!
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Love this chair, and what a sight! Really does stir up national pride, as you stand there admiring the view. Proper protocol, hat off, stand, sing anthem, sit down, drink beer (or beverage of choice) [8D]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

"Jump up, jump up and get down!" [8D]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Oh sounds sooooo tempting for my next visit.
We wanted to do Havasu Falls but just plain ran out of time.
This one looks like it would fill a day or two.

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"
Russ S.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Thanks! I bet there's times when the wind would roar across and take that chair for quite a ride! Not even a little breeze blowing... so so tranquil...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 PM

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

This picture is too cool!
Beautiful shots again!
Thanks for sharing..

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

Oh sounds sooooo tempting for my next visit.
We wanted to do Havasu Falls but just plain ran out of time.
I was in the Grand Canyon in 1994 and 1998. It's immense, raw and beautiful beyond words. Havasu is particularly beautiful... worth a trip down there by itself [^].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Great shots RM. Intriguing invite, too-the circuit of Jumpup-Kanab-Deer Creek-GC North Rim is presently my "most-wanted" hike, so I definitely have reason to be in that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page