SP/C = Southern Prairies & Calgary Nose Hill Park - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Nose Hill Park

This entry in new Alberta Forum is homage to one of largest urban parks in Canada, Nose Hill. It is located in NW quadrant of Calgary and commonly regarded as a retreat to enjoy nature in the middle of city hustle and bustle. Unlike Fish Creek in SW quadrant which is Provincial Park, Nose Hill is Municipal Park and such under management of City of Calgary, as opposed to provincial government.

I've been enjoying the Hill over 20 years now and even while living in other parts of the continent I'd always find time for few hours stroll when visiting. It is such a fantastic resource, and to me it epitomizes what Prairies are all about. Fab 360 views from most of the Hill don't hurt either; on a clear day you can spot at least dozen of Rockies peaks. Sunsets are simply spectacular. There are many trails, both official and unofficial; situation is changing over the years as management is trying to preserve as much as possible. Official entrances are scattered around the perimeter, but most popular is probably on top of the hill, where Edgemont boulevard exits to Shaganappi.

There is something for everyone: walkers, runners, cyclists, dog walkers. Rich wildlife and over the years I've seen different birds, elk, coyotes, wolverines and many ground squirrels. Conditions change over the year, but park can be enjoyed year-round as it is often windswept even in winter. Best of all are though lazy summer afternoons when you can lie down in deep prairies grass and gaze at these big skies, forgetting about the time and problems of everyday life.

Photo story; while there are couple of current ones taken just this last week, some are over 20 years old.

[Mid February 2017 sunset from SW corner of the Hill]

[Park table at entrance on Shaganappi and Edgemont on top of the Hill]

[Beautiful pond at corner of Shaganappi and John Laurie; in the fall this is specially photogenic spot; good couple of trails continue up the Hill from here]

[Stormy early evening rainbow over the park in mid-July from condo complex on top of the Hill]

[These park signs are relatively new (couple of years I think); they can be found all over the park now]

[Exploring the Hill in middle of summer; this is photo near geographic center of the Park]

[Downtown Calgary from SE corner of the Hill; Pic was taken in last century]

As CT is changing and gaining more global exposure, I hope this report will also inspire people who visit Western Canada to come and discover same magic I found some 25 years ago that keeps me coming back over and over again. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calgaryfromnose.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	194465  

Name:	EdgemontRainbow.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	194473  

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	819.0 KB
ID:	194481  

Name:	nose_table.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	194489  

Name:	nosehill.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	194497  

Name:	signhole.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	194505  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Solo hiking & backpacking, photography, Sports Nutrition, Nature observation, Rockhunting

Nice to include a map of the area; it's a great feature.
Nice shots as always.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Love Nose Hill. I live 5 minutes away from the park and we frequently take our Cub Pack out there for hikes. Each year we take a few kids backpacking in Kananaskis, but our first practice hike is across the hill and back

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Love Nose Hill. I live 5 minutes away from the park and we frequently take our Cub Pack out there for hikes.
Ha! We've maybe seen each other. I used to live in these condos across Shaganappi on top of the hill so it was literally 5 minutes to get in. Good times
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Nice photos of a great place, Zeljkok. I do miss it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page