Pyramid Mountain - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Pyramid Mountain

I went up Pyramid Mountain on 21 June and posted a brief condition report. Lobo and a few other ClubTread-ers encouraged me to post a full trip report but I was too busy with other things. This evening I've finally found time to go through a few hundred photos that I had taken to select the best ones and to stitch a few panoramic shots.

<center>Classic view of Pyramid Mountain from Disaster Point </center>
<center></center>

I started very early to take sunrise photos of Patiricia and Pyramid Lakes:

The sky soon got shrouded in clouds despite sunny weather forecast. When I reached the end of the 12km BORING fire road, intermittent rain started. A little bit disappointed I decided to proceed nevertheless. There was no trail but the route up was obvious. The rain stopped shortly before I reached the summit but the sky was mostly covered in clouds, especially in the west.

Views from the top were nice but they are surely better on a sunny day. Pyramid and Patricia Lakes vied the most attention:

I was intrigued to see Victoria Cross Range mountains up close and study possible access routes into the area:

I stayed almost two hours on the summit in vain to see the clouds dissipate. As it often happens, the weather dramatically improved and the sun finally came out only when I was on the way down.

All in all, Pyramid Mountain is a worthwhile objective if you've done other scrambles in the area. It wouldn't be my first choice, but such a majestic mountain deserves at least one visit. Bring a bicycle. You will regret if you don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the TR. Many years ago when I first visited Canada in 2000 I lived near this mountain for 6 months and never went up it. I've only really started hiking in the last year and a bit since I've moved to Canada permanently.

It's great to finally see what this mountain looks like up close. It's one of the many mountains in and around Jasper that I mean to get back to and summit in the future.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing
I was up there in the early /90's and the gondola and buildings were still there . Neat to see the views once again through your pics. Thanks for posting.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Interest: Hiking, skiing, anything outdoors. Travel
Excellent pictures Engor. Not too many people summit Pyramid so early in the year. Well done
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Nice pics Engor! Thanks for sharing.

I have heard of the Victoria Cross Traverse starting from Pyramid Mountain and it sounds quite interesting but I am not finding to much information on it. I know Lobo mentioned some of his friends did it in his TR "Elysium Pass, Jasper- Sept. 2, '09". Do either of you have anymore info on it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Thank you all for nice comments.

DeNomad: This trip report is the only one I've found on-line on the area. The route that the poster took seems to be the shortest access route possible but not the most pleasant one:
http://explorejasper.com/sights/Kerr_Lakes.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM

wow is all i got to say, great shots man!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Beautiful sunrise photos - well worth the early start!

I had the Victoria Cross traverse route described to me a couple years ago by someone who had previously done the route. It sounded like the best route would be to traverse over Pyramid and the small sub-peak to the Southwest (5866250N, 421500E) before bypassing Cairngorm to the South on a lower bench. From there you would climb back up and the lakes to the East or West of Mount Kerr would offer a decent camp. I believe that the predominate ridge was then followed West from Mount Henry before descending into the drainage North of Emigrants Mountain and into Elysium Pass. This information is from memory so do not fully rely on it. With the ability to route-find, it sounded like there was no technical climbing involved. The route would take at least 2 nights, but very possibly three if travel was slower or adverse conditions encountered.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

ian779: Thanks a lot! I was thinking about a route that closely correspond to the one that you described. It's best to drop from Pyramid Mountain ridge down to a tributary of Snake Indian River(photo 1), camping beside an unnamed tarn west of Pyramid Mountain (photo 2). On the next day it's better to bypass Caingorn Mountain to the south (photo 2. Red line).

According to GemTrek map it looks possible to traverse over a col between Mount Kinross and unnamed peak (photo 2. Blue line), although much to my regret I was not able to see this route completely from Pyramid Mountain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 PM

Bypassing the Pyramid summit like you describe would certainly save a bit of time and energy. That tarn West of Pyramid would be a better destination for the first night as the Mount Kerr lakes always seemed a bit far. The person who described the route to me works for Parks safety and admittedly was able to get a lift to the base of Pyramid - saving the long fire road approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page