Gaia GPS for iOS - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Gaia GPS for iOS

Anyone here use Gaia GPS to assist with navigation in the backcountry? Is this a decent alternative to a dedicated GPS? Upfront price seems reasonable and I don't think the features of the pro version are necessary. My battery would probably last me quite a few days if the phone was in aeroplane mode so I'm thinking it shouldn't be an issue to flip it on and off periodically as required.

Ideally I would get a dedicated GPS but I also need a PLB which I think is more important and I can't really afford both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, skiing, anything outdoors. Travel

I have gaia on my iPhone and also an Oregon 650 and I used both on multiple trips last summer and when I compared the results I found the data to be very similar. The total distance was off by 0.1 km per 10 Kms, which to me is minimal. It does eat up the battery juice. I had my fully charged phone on airplane mode and the battery lasted about 9 hours with gaia on the whole time. I think that it's a great app
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I've used it on Android. It's pretty good. The maps are a lot better than the Garmin ones I've used. It's great in combination with physical maps. I only bring out my phone whenever I want to locate myself *exactly* on the map and use my physical maps otherwise. Makes the phone last for days.
TheMagBumper likes this.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks guys. When you purchase the app does that give you access to a set of global maps? Or do you need to buy them in blocks as in-app purchases?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
It does eat up the battery juice. I had my fully charged phone on airplane mode and the battery lasted about 9 hours with gaia on the whole time. I think that it's a great app
I thought GPS doesn't work when the phone is in airplane mode?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I've used it in airplane mode without problems with offline maps.

For iOS:
http://blog.gaiagps.com/use-gaia-gps...de-in-ios-8-3/
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, fishing, golf and more

You can download maps (selection) all included with initial purchase (Combo apps). Bigger selection bigger is the file to download and it is kind of slow to download. It also takes storage on your phone. Phone GPS works in airplane mode no problem. I bought a power juice (fairly cheap) to recharge my phone (6S) as it will need it if phone use extensively. My power pack is 20k ma and technically I should be able to get 11 full recharge. Hope it helps.
TheMagBumper likes this.

Lemike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Gaia is an excellent product. I use it all the time. The dedicated GPS unit goes in the top of the pack in case I need it. But the maps on Gaia are much better. I don't use it to track my route, just refer to location sometimes (in airplane mode). Download the area where you're travelling to your phone ahead of time. Eats a bit of storage space, but now I finally have a phone that can handle it. Delete files later if you don't need them and get your storage back. There is no extra cost for downloading map sections.
TheMagBumper likes this.

Last edited by guntis; 04-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Can soeone please upload a screen shot of part of one of the maps? I'm not trying to pirate anything, just want to see what they look like and how much detail they have.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

There are various map types that you can get. I like the OpenSource ones, but there are others, such as USGS or USFS.

NOTE: I turned my phone horizontal so that I could show the map layers and map at the same time. Usually you'd only be looking at the map onscreen (for more map real estate). Also, it's nice having a big phone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	199362  

TheMagBumper likes this.

Last edited by guntis; 04-24-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page