Recommendations on 2 Day/1 Night Backpack trips in Banff/Jasper - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Recommendations on 2 Day/1 Night Backpack trips in Banff/Jasper

Hey hikers, I have a group of 5 people visiting Jasper and Banff for 7 days.

I wanted to do one backpacking trip, but since most of the people are new to backpacking, wanted to keep it at 2 days, 1 night backpacking.

Ive been trying to research which ones offers the best bang for your buck in terms of scenery, but still having issues narrowing down.

I tried to find one for Jasper, but they all seem to be minimum 2, maybe even 3 nights backpacking, which I am sure my group isnt ready for.

So I checked Banff/Yoho National Park instead and there seems to be a lot more options there.

So far Ive found the following
- Healy Pass / Egypt Lake via Simpson Pass (24.8km Round Trip)
- Iceline Trail/Little Yoho Valley Trail/Yoho Valley Trail (21.3 km Loop)

I will add to this list as I find more, but if anyone else has any great suggestions and maybe even links to them, would be great help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I took my kids on the Iceline Trail the weekend of July 25th spending one night at Little Yoho. It's a fantastic hike and the scenery along Iceline is absolutely spectacular.

You do gain 720m elevation up to Iceline Summit so it can be a bit of a climb for folks not used to it. I'd recommend keeping packs as light as possible to ensure its a good experience for all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
I took my kids on the Iceline Trail the weekend of July 25th spending one night at Little Yoho. It's a fantastic hike and the scenery along Iceline is absolutely spectacular.

You do gain 720m elevation up to Iceline Summit so it can be a bit of a climb for folks not used to it. I'd recommend keeping packs as light as possible to ensure its a good experience for all.
I would have to agree with the above. Since you and your fellow hikers would be spending the night at the ACC hut your packs would be considerably lighter thus making the required elevation gain not that onerous. The scenery is second to none. Descend thru the valley and make a loop of it. A great 2 dayer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

thanks! we decided to book for the iceline trail, i hope the weather is good when we go!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Geraldine lakes. the trail is kind of tough. big rocks to climb over the whole way but the lake is quite nice. also you can climb part way up the side of the mountain for an excellent view of the valley to the east. plus a couple nice waterfalls on the way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page