Glacier Discovery Walk going forward - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.
Glacier Discovery Walk going forward

Of course, this was going to happen regarless of public opinion. Parks Canada continues to ***** out our natural resources. Thanks, Parks Canada.

"
Jasper National Park, Alberta, February 9, 2012 – Today, the Honourable
Peter Kent, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for
Parks Canada, announced the decision to move forward with negotiations with
Brewster Travel Canada's proposal for a Glacier Discovery Walk project on
the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park. The Glacier Discovery Walk
project will be subject to mitigation measures identified through the
environmental assessment process.

Please check our website http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

What a crock of ****.

""""Government of Canada Announces Decision on Glacier Discovery Walk Proposal Environmental Assessment

Ottawa, Ontario, February 9, 2012 -- Today, the Honourable Peter Kent, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, announced the decision to move forward with negotiations with Brewster Travel Canada's proposal for a Glacier Discovery Walk project on the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park. The Glacier Discovery Walk project will be subject to mitigation measures identified through the environmental assessment process.

“The Glacier Discovery Walk represents an innovative and accessible way for visitors of all ages and abilities to have a state-of the-art experience, ‘a view from the edge' of the landscape,” said Minister Kent. “Visitors will have the opportunity to learn about the geography, geology, glaciology, the environment and Aboriginal history of the area. I am pleased to announce the approval of this exciting new project.”

Parks Canada's determination was made following a robust review process which included open houses and an extensive public and aboriginal engagement program, as well as close examination of potential environmental effects and careful consideration of public comment under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. The project will now proceed to the next steps in the development review process, including lease negotiations and construction agreement.

“I am happy to report to my constituents in Yellowhead, and all Canadians that following an extensive environmental impact assessment, the Glacier Discovery Walk in Jasper National Park has been approved,” said the Honourable Rob Merrifield, Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, Alberta. “We are proud of this new exciting way for visitors from across Canada and around the world to experience the amazing vistas and learn about our unique ecological and cultural heritage while promoting economic activity and jobs in Jasper and the surrounding areas.”

The Brewster Travel Canada Glacier Discovery Walk Proposal meets the goals identified in the strategic concept for the Icefields Parkway, respects the approved management plans for Banff and Jasper national parks and addresses associated environmental and visitor experience issues.

The Icefields Parkway opened in 1940 as a scenic road for the use and pleasure of national park visitors. The Glacier Discovery Walk will be constructed on a previously disturbed, existing right-of-way for the Icefields Parkway and represents a unique and permissible development in a front country area of the park. As a world leader in conservation, Parks Canada would not approve this project if it were to cause significant adverse environmental effects.

“Our mountain parks draw people from all around the globe to enjoy the unparalleled beauty of our province of Alberta. And it is enhanced opportunities for visitor experiences, such as the Glacier Discovery Walk, that will help to keep them coming back again and again,” said Blake Richards, Member of Parliament for Wild Rose, Alberta, which includes Banff National Park. “As the chairman of Parliament's Tourism Caucus, I am excited by the opportunities for expanded tourism and a better knowledge of the natural history of our national parks that this project represents.”

“A major challenge in Canada's national parks is to manage development in order to protect the area for future generations, while offering visitors the opportunity to enjoy and understand the national parks,” Minister Kent added. “During the public consultation process, we heard from many Canadians representing many perspectives. We recognize and appreciate the passion all Canadians feel for our national parks.”

Minister Kent thanked Brewster Travel Canada for their work in developing this proposal for consideration. For over 120 years, Brewster has been a valued partner in presenting outstanding visitor experiences and learning opportunities in Canada's mountain national parks to Canadians and visitors from around the world.

This decision also supports the Government's Federal Tourism Strategy, which helps encourage the development of exceptional tourism experiences and inspire the world to explore Canada.

The Icefields Parkway in Banff and Jasper national parks is an iconic feature and part of one of the finest and most extensive systems of protected natural areas in the world. Parks Canada is committed to ensuring Canada's special places are presented and protected for the enjoyment, education and appreciation of all Canadians, today and in the future.""""
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.
Another example of resounding Conservative brilliance.

Our electoral system needs to be fixed.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Location: High River, (just south of Calgary eh!), Alberta, Canada.
Kids are strongly influenced by early experiences and perhaps some kids who would otherwise just go thru life in their bubble tethered to their electronics might have an opportunity here to be bitten by the nature bug. Perhaps when they reach a point in life where they are making major decisions this experience will help to influence those decisions. We care about the things we love and statistics are showing that engagement with our National Parks is low for the ‘new Canadians' among us also.

I realize this might be grasping at straws but is my hope that some good may come of this project.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

Another example of resounding Conservative brilliance.

Our electoral system needs to be fixed.
Sure.
The liberals would have just sold the whole park outright and laundered the money, and we would have found out about it two years later by accident.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM

I had to smile at human nature today as I was reading the Fitzhugh after hearing the Discovery walk announcement. There was an article from an interest group complaining about parks keeping Maligne river closed to rafting in order to protect the Harlequin ducks. The feeling expressed was that Parks was being too conservative. So I think that it really depends on who is wanting something from the park whether people are pleased or not.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering
here's to sudden mass erosion on the cliffside that it will be built on.

I really hope they build it and the whole thing gives way one day,i'll haul the scrap metal out of their for some extra change.

maybe i'll go dig under there with my ice axe when i have free time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Our parks are slipping away.......
The dip-**** that approved this project has no right to do so. A court challenge is in order. The door has been opened now.......there will be more projects like this to come.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Women
I know I know everyone hates it, BUT I would still stop in there to see it if I was passing through! Guess I am one of one thousand that would
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

I know I know everyone hates it, BUT I would still stop in there to see it if I was passing through! Guess I am one of one thousand that would
you would get more out of walking to the toe of the athabasca glacier.

the spot they are putting the glacier discovery walk is nowhere close to any glacier,the closest glacier is the edges of the stutfield glacier and it is pretty high above and far from the road.

The whole thing pales in comparison to the icefields snowbus tours they already have,they just want as much money as they can get,so they will build what they want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page