Brewsters Buys The Parks - Discovery Walk - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brewsters Buys The Parks - Discovery Walk

I just got the following notice about the plan to build a glass-bottomed viewing platform over the Athabasca Icefields. Other than the scenic destruction and the impact on the environment, this will restrict access to the surrounding mountains. If you want to limit commercial operations in the national parks, and if you care about keeping them open to everyone, please send your comments to the Parks Superintendent.

"""[u]Glacier Discovery Walk Project Update</u>

An environmental assessment has been prepared for the proposal to construct the Brewster Travel Canada Glacier Discovery Walk at Tangle Hill on Highway 93 N in Jasper National Park. In keeping with the process outlined in the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, this environmental assessment has now been released for public review and comment. Any person wishing to review and comment on the assessment may do so.

Copies of the environmental assessment can be viewed at:

The Jasper National Park Administration Office:
607 Connaught Drive, Jasper, Alberta

The Jasper Municipal Library:
303 Bonhomme Street, Jasper, Alberta

The Glacier Discovery Walk Website:
www.glacierdiscoverywalk.com/downloads

All comments should be provided in writing by [u]December 16, 2011 </u>to:

Superintendent
Jasper National Park
Box 10, Jasper, AB T0E 1E0
Fax: 780-852-6229
Email: jasper.superintendent@pc.gc.ca
"""
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Intermediate Member

Despite the fact that their location/design is relatively well conceived to minimize visual impact, this thing is still utter idiocracy. As if the glacier buggy tours, visitor centre & huge parking lot weren't enough, we now have this stupidity. Thanks for the links Peter. Get writing people!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Starting Member

From an environmental impact standpoint, the GDW itself isn't going to do much to the area since it's located right below the existing highway. See Pg. 5 on: http://www.glacierdiscoverywalk.ca/f...ov_18_2011.pdf

That being said if it does go through, it will:
1) Cause traffic jams near Tangle Creek Falls which is already busy enough with the parking lot located near a blind corner which is already dangerous enough
2) Potentially increase the number of visitors to the park - a good thing for more park funding but a bad thing in increased traffic which is already horrible in the summer time with so many RVs and tour busses

The last thing I want is another twinned highway from Lake Louise to Jasper. THAT will completely spoil the landscape, and the wilder, more remote feel of the icefield parkway.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BeeWee

From an environmental impact standpoint, the GDW itself isn't going to do much to the area since it's located right below the existing highway.
Umm, how would it be located 'below the existing highway'? The Discovery Walk is supposed to be a glass-bottomed platform overlooking the glacier. Even if located right beside it, the DW would still block the view of the glacier from other angles.

Brewsters will address only such issues as they can successfully make a case for, and will ignore anything that might make them look bad.

As has been pointed out, despite their protestations to the contrary, it also looks like Brewsters plan to make access to the Discovery Walk a private one, blocking access for other visitors and for hikers and climbers unless they're willing to pay.

Don't believe everything you read.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BeeWee

From an environmental impact standpoint, the GDW itself isn't going to do much to the area since it's located right below the existing highway.
Umm, how would it be located 'below the existing highway'? The Discovery Walk is supposed to be a glass-bottomed platform overlooking the glacier. Even if located right beside it, the DW would still block the view of the glacier from other angles.

Brewsters will address only such issues as they can successfully make a case for, and will ignore anything that might make them look bad.

As has been pointed out, despite their protestations to the contrary, it also looks like Brewsters plan to make the road to the Discovery Walk a private one, blocking access for hikers and climbers unless they're willing to pay.

Don't believe everything you read.
Here's the direct link to the visual impact study, which demonstrates how it is located below the highway:

http://www.glacierdiscoverywalk.ca/f...rch_1_2011.pdf

It looks like it is located on the downhill side of Tangle Hill adjacent to the highway. I can't see it obstructing any views or blocking any access routes for hikers or climbers, and it won't create a new footprint. Doesn't mean I think it's a good idea, but you have to admit it's pretty well located and designed to minimize visual and environmental impact.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dav1481
It looks like it is located on the downhill side of Tangle Hill adjacent to the highway. I can't see it obstructing any views or blocking any access routes for hikers or climbers, and it won't create a new footprint. Doesn't mean I think it's a good idea, but you have to admit it's pretty well located and designed to minimize visual and environmental impact.
It is well-located and minimalizes visual impact [u]only</u> if you accept the premise that it [u]has</u> to be there. Otherwise, it's badly located and has a lot of visual impact.

I've stopped at that lookout before, and pulled out many times to look at the views. I guess they want exclusive rights to it?

"""Brewster is currently reviewing requests by some stakeholders to provide parking at the site after hours and off-season for individuals wishing to access hiking, scrambling and other back-country routes from this site."""

So no, you [u]won't</u> be able to park there, and they will control [u]all</u> access to the pullout. In other words, they are selling an EXCLUSIVE view. F**king Disneyland!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Brewsters.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are you sure about that, John?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

It is well-located and minimalizes visual impact [u]only</u> if you accept the premise that it [u]has</u> to be there. Otherwise, it's badly located and has a lot of visual impact.
Lol, true. Putting a skirt and lipstick on a pig doesn't change the fact that it's just an ugly stinky pig. The skirt is nicer than I expected though

I've heard a rumor that John hates Brewsters. Let's keep it between us, though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Accessing the climber's parking lot for Mt's Athabasca and Andromeda can be a tremendous pain thanks to Brewsters and their stupid gate and "private" road. I hate restricted land access within the National Parks. Golf courses? Get rid of them. Ski hills? Charge me to access the lift, but otherwise I should be able to skin/ski.

Okay, I get that Brewsters was there first, but it's 2011 and today, it's land that is designed to be accessed by all Canadians.

Total piss off: their bus customers pay less per day for park access than others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page