Pyramid Mountain - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pyramid Mountain

Me and few friends were in Jasper this weekend, and of course we were eye-balling every mountain around there. The one that jumps out at you from the townsite (over a beer on a bar rooftop) is Pyramid Mountain.

In the trail guide, it says there is a trail partway up, but it only goes to the Palisades Lookout. Does anybody know if there's an actual hiking trail to the summit? Or does it turn into a scramble (which is what it looks like from the townsite) or an actual, real climb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

It's a scramble. Route description is in Alan Kane his book but here are a couple of trip reports which might help

http://bobspirko.ca/Jasper/Pyramid/Pyramid.htm
http://www.freewebtown.com/ssbou/ssbou2007/pyramid.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
I did it years ago, and it's a real slog, and I wouldn't bother. The scrambling is not interesting, the views are okay, and the approach down the road is boring and long and tedious./
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

I did it years ago, and it's a real slog, and I wouldn't bother. The scrambling is not interesting, the views are okay, and the approach down the road is boring and long and tedious./
Sigh! But it's such a good-looking mountain....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing
Peter... Take a mountain bike to the base where the old tram used to be and then the ride down will be more fun. I did this one years back as well and from the summit on a clear day you can see Mt. Robson.
Don't let Johngenx influence you too much, he's back teaching and loving every minute with his new group of students!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing
Some mountains are worth slogging up just for the look back. Go for it anyways.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Starting Member

I will make my first post here a definite thumbs up for Pyramid Mountain as a worthy peak to bag. Like has been mentioned, take a bike to the old base of the now removed tram. It's about 11km's from the gate at the end of the Pyramid Lake road.

From the end of the road, the scrambling route is straight forward to the ridge, and the last stretch to the summit is fun on big, blocky talus.

The views behind Pyramid into the heart of the Victoria Cross range are nice, and now that the microwave repeater tower is gone from the summit, the views from the top are even better.

And the ride back to the gate is a blast.

Definitely worthwhile, especially as a "multi-sport" scramble.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Pyramid Mountain is worth the efforts. I would suggest using a bike on your approach. I am sure there would be places in Jasper townsite who could gladly rent you a bike and then from the townsite you could pedal to the trailhead. My experience was more pushing the bike up the trail / road but oh boy, was it one sweet ride coming down!!! I had to stop once in a while because my hands got sore from clutching the brakes so hard! I also thought the huge quartzite rocks leading up to the summit were fun to go over. I mean, nothing special but better than what most do in Jasper, i.e. the Whistlers Tram. Having done all of Kane's Jasper scrambles, the one mountain in Jasper that is my favourite in terms of views was Opal Peak. Just an easy walk up hike above the Opal Hills trail but gosh, the views were great! Roche Miette is a good scramble too. Anyways, enjoy your trips!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeffs78

the one mountain in Jasper that is my favourite in terms of views was Opal Peak. Just an easy walk up hike above the Opal Hills trail but gosh, the views were great! Roche Miette is a good scramble too. Anyways, enjoy your trips!
Heading for the Opal Hills on the weekend of the 25-27th. Looking forward to it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Excellent choice. Here are some of my photos taken from Opal Peak in mid-September 2008. A great day, great trail, great mountain, great time! Enjoy your day. In stead of returning the same way off the summit (south that is), our group continued north down the ridge to a saddle on the north side of the peak where we spotted a couple goats. This did involve some careful footing on loose rock over slabs but nothing too bad and before long were reconected with the Opal Hills trail to finish the loop. Don't forget to bring a new summit register and book.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page