The Edge (1997) - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

The Edge (1997)

Yesterday I watched The Edge (Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin) again. A Beautiful movie, one of the best I've ever seen and the best filmed in the Canadian Rockies.

The movie is set in Alaska but is apperently filmed in the Kananaskis and Mt. Assiniboine PP . The lodge is on the lake which is apperently Spray Lakes Reservoir; the plane crashes, I think, on Upper Kananaskis Lake and when the bear is chasing the two men we see easily recognizable Mt. Assiniboine and Magog Lake in the background. Apparently they were hiking Nublet or Nub Peak.

I'm wondering if you recognized some other landmarks I missed in this beautiful movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 PM

i don't remember the movie well at all, but I remember reading somewhere that you can see Big Sister in a scene.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

I loved that movie! My parents had a condo in Dead Man's Flats at the time, and I saw a bit of the filming (remember where they trapped the squirrel in a wooden cage? I was standing behind the camera for that!) Amusing trivia: the log the squirrel was running along was actually made of foam. That scene, as well as the one where they attack and kill the bear, were shot in the campground in Dead Man's.

The waterfall scene and was on Pigeon Creek - whatever the falls is called just up from the quarry. The plane crash was the first lake beyond the pass - Gap Lake? (It's been a while, forget the name.) From what I remember reading, the lodge was built for the movie on Spray Lake, and the filmmakers offered to leave it standing, but the province wanted no development so they took it down.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 PM

great movie, i was in the area when they were filming it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

I loved that movie! My parents had a condo in Dead Man's Flats at the time, and I saw a bit of the filming (remember where they trapped the squirrel in a wooden cage? I was standing behind the camera for that!) Amusing trivia: the log the squirrel was running along was actually made of foam. That scene, as well as the one where they attack and kill the bear, were shot in the campground in Dead Man's.

The waterfall scene and was on Pigeon Creek - whatever the falls is called just up from the quarry. The plane crash was the first lake beyond the pass - Gap Lake? (It's been a while, forget the name.) From what I remember reading, the lodge was built for the movie on Spray Lake, and the filmmakers offered to leave it standing, but the province wanted no development so they took it down.
Thanks a lot for telling many interesting details about filming of this movie! I'm glad to find out that I recognized correctly Spray Lakes. I'm sure I'm also correct about Mt. Assiniboine and Nublet Trail.

It's funny to find out that the bear attack scene, which supposedly happened in a very remote place in Alaska, was filmed right beside the Trans Canada Highway

Is there a trail leading up to that waterfall?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!
Cool movie...Cali and I have watched it about a million and one times..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
vic

I've seen the movie three times and hiked in Mt. Assiniboine 3 times so I recognized it right away. Great movie.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM
vic

Talking about this movie made me think of another movie I watched years ago and I recognized where it was filmed and a lot of my friends disagreed with me when I told them. So without using Google do you know where the 1972 movie, "Deliverance" was filmed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Thanks a lot for telling many interesting details about filming of this movie! I'm glad to find out that I recognized correctly Spray Lakes. I'm sure I'm also correct about Mt. Assiniboine and Nublet Trail.

It's funny to find out that the bear attack scene, which supposedly happened in a very remote place in Alaska, was filmed right beside the Trans Canada Highway

Is there a trail leading up to that waterfall?

There are two waterfalls on that section of the creek. The upper one can be accessed from old fireroads that start at Alpine Resort Haven and lead into Wind Valley. It's actually a pretty decent falls. The lower falls - which was the one in the movie - I'm not sure about. I think there may be access from around Thunderstone Quarrey, but I'm not sure (and it's likely private property around that area, so be careful).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page