Bear Cubs in the Washroom - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Bear Cubs in the Washroom

Three bear cubs with no mother in sight found dumped and locked in washroom on Vermilion Lakes viewpoint near Banff (Trans-Canada eastbound lane).

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/201...0409996/-1/rmo

This one makes me really scratch my head. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Three bear cubs with no mother in sight found dumped and locked in washroom on Vermilion Lakes viewpoint near Banff (Trans-Canada eastbound lane).

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/201...0409996/-1/rmo

This one makes me really scratch my head. Thoughts?
If it is that washroom, they couldn't have got there without significant human effort, surely. It gives me a mixture of anger and a jaw-dropping, head-shaking, shoulder-shrugging feeling of emptiness.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

We are going to hear more about it. Locked washroom? It is very weird story. If it is really human doing, who in the world would do such a thing. My only guess would be bunch of kids from Banff playing some sort of a prank.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

What do you expect when free Parks passes are handed out to anyone / everyone, en masse. This year will be a real doozie for Parks and their staff. And, if they thought they had a problem last year with "problem campers", this summer will surely be worse. Buckle up!
mclay1234 likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Perhaps some good-hearted citizen found them, assumed they were abandoned near a busy highway, and took steps to secure them knowing they would be discovered shortly? That is the most charitable theory I can imagine. It is a terrible problem on the west coast with people "rescuing" apparently abandoned seal pups that are just left while mom goes hunting. God, I hope they don't end up in a zoo :-(

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by warawa View Post
What do you expect when free Parks passes are handed out to anyone / everyone, en masse. This year will be a real doozie for Parks and their staff. And, if they thought they had a problem last year with "problem campers", this summer will surely be worse. Buckle up!
I don't think this incident is related to free passes; this is most likely local prank of someone who already lives in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
Perhaps some good-hearted citizen found them, assumed they were abandoned near a busy highway, and took steps to secure them knowing they would be discovered shortly? That is the most charitable theory I can imagine. It is a terrible problem on the west coast with people "rescuing" apparently abandoned seal pups that are just left while mom goes hunting. God, I hope they don't end up in a zoo :-(
I really hope you are right. But it is not likely; i.e. go through trouble of handling wild animals in the car, transporting them, etc then just to dump them in the washroom when warden office is 10 minute drive away; doesn't make sense
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Really bizarre; no way could they have ended up inside on their own behind locked door.

Has to be human meddling.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Scrambling, rock climbing, road biking & landscape photography

Probably one of the most devastating stories I have ever heard related to mountain parks. Just heartbreaking and unfortunately I hate to say it but it is likely that they will not only be split up but sent to zoo's as well. The bear rehabilitation group near Smithers was not able to take them for some reason.

This story is so upsetting that I have deliberately been avoiding it.

But also such an extreme mystery. I believe someone put the bears in the bathroom.

Here is what I think happened - one of those maniacs who think animal parts have special powers shot the mom to sell the exotic elements they believe can be turned into medicine or tonics or whatever. Those people are out there and every once in a while you hear of the stories locally of someone poaching animals to sell some part of them on the black markets that exist for people who believe in that kinda garbage. I bet the group that shot the mom – someone in their group had a moment where the reality of what they were doing hit them and he or she knew what they were doing was wrong and somehow scooped up these cubs to try to save them, then frieked out because he or she had no idea what to do with them, so they pulled over, put them in the bathroom and drove away.

Its not that crazy and might be the only explanation.

Those people are out there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default "locked in" to me reads like this...

Any animal that goes through a door is "locked in". I've seen a bear "locked in" a garbage can because the lid had one of those notched bars you need to pull back to lift the lid and hold it open. These bears could have been intrigued by the smell of the inside coming out the bottom of the door close to their noses and pushed the door open by chance. If the momma was outside, she would have no idea about doors and may have sat outside with no recourse but wait and eventually walk away. This could be an alternate story without the immediate impulse to label it prank or malicious.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Cubs are now in Ontario for rehab & supposed to be released into the wild back in Banff NP in 1 year time

To make things even worse and more ridiculous, it appears there was quite a quarrel between provincial and federal governments. Alberta would not issue export permit to allow bears to fly out from Calgary, so they had to be driven 5 hrs to Kelowna and then flown out of there.

More details on this story: http://www.630ched.com/2017/04/16/ba...ta-government/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page