Caribou snared by bear pole in Tonquin Valley - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel
Default Caribou snared by bear pole in Tonquin Valley

How terribly ironic :-( I've always preferred to ski tour the Tonquin, but this year we ventured into Wates-Gibson hut this past weekend due to the planned closure of the area from mid-Nov to mid-Feb. This closure is part of the strategy to protect a highly endangered herd of Woodland Caribou.

So, on a late afternoon hike up to Amethyst Lakes while passing through Surprise Point campground, I noticed a commotion in the trees. We found an adult male caribou had snared its antlers around a loop of the food storage cables aka bear pole.

Of the four cables hanging suspended from a main support line, three were swinging free and only one was properly secured to the pole. Our presence panicked the animal so we only stayed long enough to examine the cables and left, determined to return next day with tools.

Our arrival next morning was a shock...the caribou appeared to have hanged itself.

In fact, it had twisted the cable repeatedly around and slowly wound itself up so that it was now hanging by its antlers with only the hind hooves barely touching the ground. It stirred as we got closer...it was alive! I cut one of the main support cables with a hacksaw and the animal collapsed to the ground then quickly got up and pulled away from us but was still tethered. The caribou was surprisingly quiet as I worked on the other cable - my partner said it appeared to be waiting patiently for me to finish the job.

Once the other main cable released, the caribou was off like a shot into a nearby meadow, bucking and throwing its head as it ran. Unfortunately, with that first loop firmly around the base of its antlers and now the entire collection of cables twisted into a single gnarly strand, there was virtually no hope it would free itself. After about 10 minutes of trying, the animal stopped to rest and even grazed a bit.

We left it alone at that point, hiked over to the Warden's Cabin on a faint-hope, then up to Clitheroe campground to check those bear poles (thankfully, they were properly secured).

A telephone call to the Jasper Wardens upon our return home was quickly responded to and I believe they are going to scout the area by helicopter to locate and tranquilize the animal so the cables can be removed. I have their promise of an update and will hopefully conclude this story with a happy ending. Meanwhile, here is a YouTube clip of this misadventure.

http://youtu.be/_G3ipIjkK_g

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

I couldnt watch it all, a sad video, good on ya for doing your best.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
High on the Mountain Top

That's terrible. I've seen similar videos before, and they're sad to watch. Hopefully the wardens find it and can help. Thanks for going back and doing the best you could.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Summit Master

Truly terrible, in particular heartbreaking pic/clip when he is suspended in the air by the cable. Yes, thank you for doing what could be done; cross fingers for happy ending
Shade likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Ai carumba! Good on you for helping it out. I'd probably be too scared - are you used to being around large animals?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Summit Master

You deserve a lot of credit for your actions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

Thanks for helping that poor soul out. Hope the wardens find him,tranquilize him and let him be free once again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

ps - I'll never walk past a bear pole without clipping the loops again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

Ai carumba! Good on you for helping it out. I'd probably be too scared - are you used to being around large animals?
I think animals have a sense of when they're in big trouble, and in that calmness or resignation to their fate they may be able to sense either that not much worse can happen, or that someone is there to help. Birds with bad injuries typically become very docile like this and you'd think the birds would be more likely to expect they are about to be eaten by the humans handling them.

Also, the animal should shed the horns in the spring anyway.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Amazing job, guys! Really glad you helped the animal. Hopefully he'll survive and carry on with his Caribou life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page