Hiking in mud - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hiking in mud

The Cape Scott trail is described as requiring foot protection from large areas of mud. Any suggestions on foot ware, preferably lightweight to be carried as an alternative? Would sandals be appropriate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Mud will suck many types of sandals right off your foot.
Rubber boots are the usual mud protector for footwear
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mud

Thanks for your reply - I agree but with a 17 mile hike I'd like to resort to something lightweight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
High-topped leather or rubber boots should be carried and proper hiking boots should be worn.
From http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...tt/hiking.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'd recommend a proper hiking boot and well-fitted gators. If the gators fit tightly around your boot they'll keep the mud out just fine, and they're certainly lightweight.
knip likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Good water-semi-sorta-resistant hiking shoes are still preferable to mis-fitted heavy clunky boots that blister you before 1/4 way in. But I would sure take a nice freshly sno-sealed boot that fits me well over anything else! If the boots are right and your feet are used to them, they can be wonderful for long trudges. Shoes feel more comfortable at first, but as the day drags on your legs stay fresher longer despite the extra weight. But they have to fit right, not just the basic sizing but a model that suits your individual feet, and you must wear them regularly.

If you don't have those boots already and are planning a trip soon, I would actually suggest sturdy shoes, plenty of spare socks and extra care in not finding the deepest spot to step in. Misfit boots are far worse than misfit shoes.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Oddly enough, I've seen people hiking in flip flops on the Cape Scott trail, as far in as the fields. I was surprised they made it that far.
But I'd never recommend doing that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons I've hiked the majority of the WCT and the NCT in Keen aquatic shoes like these, especially the muddy sections:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5039-935/k...35qhoC3jfw_wcB

Last edited by seboyle; 09-16-2015 at 11:10 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay1234 View Post
I'd recommend a proper hiking boot and well-fitted gators. If the gators fit tightly around your boot they'll keep the mud out just fine, and they're certainly lightweight.
I think gaiters are important as well. I just posted something on "Gotta Love Gear" about gaiters and how fitting them is important.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just came back from Cape Scott last night, found that Gaiters helped, but weren't essential (depending on the hiker). On the hike in I skipped them and didn't get dirty above my boots, while on the way out it rained and I wore them for the rain (along with shorts), and it made footing a bit easier. My feet stayed warm and dry the whole trip.

My hikers here are gore-tex high-tops, though my 8 year old mostly got away with low cut trailrunners (also gore-tex) and no gaiters. My 12 year old survived the trip in regular runners with good wool socks and liners, though in multi-day rain this isn't a good option. His feet got wet, and then dried out after a few hours of hiking when the rain let up. My spouse got gore-tex boots soaked in a swamp, and they didn't dry out even with the help of newspaper and the woodstove in the ranger's cabin.

I always carry crocs (the cheap dollar store variety, they are lighter) for beach shoes, you can go with sandals or anything else you want. Crocs are easy on in the middle of the night when you have to go pee, and great for washing dishes in the ocean, as they dry faster than fabric shoes.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I spent the extra bucks and got the brand name Crocs..

I agree they are a great camp shoe.. Not so good for river crossings, though.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I usually just wear running shoes for the Cape Scott/North Coast Trails. Gaiters are overkill imo.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sorry this is off topic, but what's with the weird avatar @Kid Charlemagne ? Giving me nightmares
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Sorry this is off topic, but what's with the weird avatar @Kid Charlemagne ? Giving me nightmares
I hate to answer a question with a question, I know it's rude, but let me ask you, why don't you have a weird avatar? It's kind of boring bud.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
I spent the extra bucks and got the brand name Crocs..
I was stingy on the bucks and got the dollar store variety. Mine are only half the weight, and I can buy 5 pairs for your 1 pair. I still haven't found an improvement for under $100 over the dollar store variety (river crossing would be a bonus, though I've forded some strong currents in crocs).

And believe me gaiters aren't overkill for Cape Scott, especially when it starts raining. In my experience any hiker asking for generic footwear advice isn't necessarily experienced in foot placement, and could use the extra dirt protection a gaiter gives. Even on the days where it didn't rain those in my group without gaiters (but with long pants) had mud caking their hiking pants up to their knees. I got away without on the way in because of long legs, trekking poles and very good foot placement (part experience, part having extra time as I had to slow to kids' pace).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page