Fishing in Bedwell Lake? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Fishing in Bedwell Lake?

Does anyone know if there are shore fishing opportunities in Bedwell and/or the surrounding lakes? I am heading up there next week and wondering if it'd be worth bringing a fly rod along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking
I kind of don't think that there are any fish in either of the Bedwell lakes. Of the many times I have camped on those lakes, I have never seen any fish action. Same for Little Jim & Cream Lks, both of which are still frozen over. I'm under the impression that the only alpine lakes on the Island that have fish, have been stocked.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Interest: Beer before hiking.
http://www.clubtread.org/bedwell.htm

There might be fish in there. The lakes on forbidden plateau have fish though so there is a good chance it they had stocked that lake at sometime.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM

I have to agree with Prother... I have never seen any fish activity at either of these lakes. I always find it a bit eerie when the lake surfaces are dead calm in the evening and early morning and there are no fish surfacing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM

From what I have been told, the lakes (anywhere) on the Island are not very good habitat for trout and even those lakes that trout occur naturally, the fishing's generally poor, with small fish. It has something to do with the lack of natural feed.

In the stocked alpine lakes,the fish don't generally reproduce and the stock may grow for several years, until someone catches a couple of big ones. Then word gets out and the next people find nothing... because the first fishers caught them all. I have heard of opinions to eradicate the stocked lakes of fish and to return them to their original state, but I don't have a definitive opinion myself .

Maybe someone with more knowledge of fresh water fish in Island alpine lakes could speak to this.

Peter
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all - looks like the rod will stay at home.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:02 PM

No... bring it and prove us all wrong. What's another half pound? Besides, you'll have something to do, when your girlfriend says, "I hate bugs and I hate hiking and I'm not coming out of the tent." Maybe I'm reading more into this trip than is really there, but bring your pole.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 PM

I wouldn't go there without one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Intermediate Member

However, if you do catch a couple of 5 pounders, don't tell us here on a public forum or there will be no fish left for next year...
Just PM me!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Acidic lakes limit the amount of good feed for trout. So lakes that have limestone around them are better for aquatic life that trout like to feed on and get big. Lake Helen Mckenzie has some decent sized fish in it and is one of my favorite Van Isle lakes to fish and camp at. You may not get 5 pounders but a one pounder is not unusual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page