IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATION IN REMOTE AREAS - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATION IN REMOTE AREAS

Thought this deserved its own thread:

COMMUNICATION is ESSENTIAL on any wilderness trip!

I always carry a SAT phone, fully charged, in a water proof and shock protected pelican case, programmed with important phone numbers (i.e. 911, Weather Hotlines, BC Parks, BC Conservation Officer, your buddy's cell you left your route plan with in case there are changes on route, etc.)

On any coastal route I also carry a VHF radio (for emergencies and weather reports).

This is VERY IMPORTANT, like having shelter, or food, or water, or a first aid kit, or extra warm clothes!

I would also HIGHLY recommend taking a wilderness 1st aid course before heading on any backcountry trip (or have at least one member in your party that is a 1st aider!), ESPECIALLY if going into REMOTE terrain like the NCT or the mountains of Strathcona Park.

Its ALOT easier to get a rescue if someone in your party can call for help when the incident happens, and having someone that can administer 1st aid right then and there will make a traumatic experience ALOT more comfortable then not!

REDUCING RISK IS KEY!! HAVING THE MEANS TO DEAL WITH AN EMERGENCY IS IMPERATIVE!!!!!

Play Safe,

M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

Boy, how did John Clarke ever survive those month long solo trips thru the Coast Mts with no Sat phone?!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM

I prefer two tin cans and a lot of string. Each to their own I suppose.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Intermediate Member

Holy crap. That stuff must weigh a whack load. How did people survive before cell phones and all these un-necessary devices? I am waiting for an EMP to blow out all these devices and then we will see Darwinism take over.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikemike

Thought this deserved its own thread:

COMMUNICATION is ESSENTIAL on any wilderness trip!

I always carry a SAT phone, fully charged, in a water proof and shock protected pelican case, programmed with important phone numbers (i.e. 911, Weather Hotlines, BC Parks, BC Conservation Officer, your buddy's cell you left your route plan with in case there are changes on route, etc.)
Aha, I almost agree with you, but you really need 2 SAT phones, just in case you lose one or it dies on you for some reason.

Quote:
quote:On any coastal route I also carry a VHF radio (for emergencies and weather reports).
And always carry 2 VHF radios.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

I always leave a trip schedule with someone with a call police after this time line has passed. This works for me.

I think a sat phone would be most helpful if I were a hiking guide as the OP, but in most situations I would consider the extra space required and weight a detriment or excess. Most folks have some form of first aid or at least knowledge of basic first aid. If I were to carry anything along these lines I think a SPOT would be my choice.

But hey, whatever blows your hair back, right.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

And for crying out loud DONT FORGET THE EXTRA BATTIRES!!!
Thanks for the lecture. Im sure you meant well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Ha Ha, you guys are very funny!

Obviously all Senior and Advanced Members of Clubtread and anyone that lives in or around the Lower Mainland is exempt from having to carry essential communication gear!

Nice pic keefer

Read the stories about people looking for help after their buddy broke they're leg, and also guide a few hundred clients in the remote mountains and coastal areas of Vancouver Island where a phone or radio could save yours or your buddies life and just as importantly - your clients, whose husband is a liability lawsuit lawyer!

Guys, obviously my post is meant for people that don't know what they are doing when they head into the outdoors with no experience or proper equipment or a babysitter (AKA a guide) to take care of them.

Guess after you post on here more then 5000 times you are immune to common sense and the current (it is 2009!) mountain guide knowledge that a communication device is essential when in remote locations to call for help if needed.

Not quite as smart as you,

M

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM

What did you expect? People to bow to your superior knowledge and immediately order SAT phones and hire guides for all future trips?

Wilderness 1st aid is way higher on the list of essentials than a SAT phone IMO. Why endanger a SAR crew when you could deal with it yourself?

How about this? Is it selfish and irresponsible to put yourself in a risky situation solely because you could call SAR on your SAT phone to pluck you out?

(All questions but one sentence )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page