4Likes
  • 3 Post By kurtjerk
  • 1 Post By pdomansky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Shuttle help / car swap for Juan de Fuca

Hey gang,

Wondering if anyone is heading to the Juan de Fuca this Friday and would like to do some car swapping so I can avoid biking back to the trailhead on monday. I don't care which direction I hike it, so I'd be willing to give someone my car to drive to their preferred trailhead. You know, win-win type of stuff.

OR, if anyone knows of any shuttle help in that area, I'd love a tip!

Looking forward to the mud

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

There is the Trail Bus, which picks up/drops off at various spots along the JDF on the way to Port Renfrew, and up further to Bamfield for the WCT.

Be aware that parking in Port Renfrew or China Beach, cars have been broken into, so take your valuables with you.

I've taken the shuttle a few times for both the Juan De Fuca, and the WCT - quite reasonably priced.

Schedule and additional information can be found on their site here: http://www.trailbus.com/Schedule_jdft.html

I like being near the top of a mountain. One cant get lost here. Wislawa Szymborska

Last edited by pdomansky; 05-17-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks!

Yeah the shuttle looks good, but it doesn't run on the monday and it appears to only run once a day and not an ideal time. I'm trying to spare a couple co-hikers a weekend of stress about getting back to the car. I'd be cool with just staying there...... forever.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtjerk View Post
Thanks!

Yeah the shuttle looks good, but it doesn't run on the monday and it appears to only run once a day and not an ideal time. I'm trying to spare a couple co-hikers a weekend of stress about getting back to the car. I'd be cool with just staying there...... forever.
If you can't find someone to do a car swap, or the shuttle won't work, just thumb it. It's pretty easy to catch a lift to/from the trailhead.

I like being near the top of a mountain. One cant get lost here. Wislawa Szymborska
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I've hitchhiked it a couple of times, getting rides wasn't too hard. I'd go to the end I wanted to start from, hide my backpack in the woods, drive to the end of the trail, and then hitchhike back to the start and my backpack. Worked just fine both times, took about 20 - 30 minutes to get picked up both times, fwiw.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

There is also a taxi service in Sooke that will shuttle you to a trailhead. It's not cheap though (I got a quote from them once but didn't end up using it). I can't remember which company it is, but google should be able to find it for you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you! I ended up going with them. I can't recall the name either, but I was directed there after a long (and very friendly) string of taxi companies pointing me in the right direction.

So people know, it was a $50 deposit, and we'll have to pay between $80 and $100 in cash to cover the balance ($130-150 total). Pretty steep, for sure, but we're on a tight timeline, the cost is split three ways, it provides my partners with some peace of mind, and it ends up being cheaper and environmentally preferable than a second car on the ferry - and a bit easier than hitching a ride. And hey - $50 a head to get our tired and muddy selves back to the car and put some cash directly into a local small business owner's hands? There are worse places to spend money.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

This might pose a good opportunity for someone local to Sooke or Port Renfrew to provide an "on call" type shuttle service. Likely lots of red tape to do so, but with the limited options and rising demand and ferry costs rising, may prove to be quite lucrative... Maybe Uber or Lyft if our gov't ever allows it. Who knows.
kurtjerk likes this.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I just gave Sooke Harbour Transport a call as they advertise trailhead drop-offs on their website. They were willing to accommodate the two of us although it's a bit pricy, however we want to risk a late start by hitchhiking so it's worth it. We are planning to take a transport from China Beach to Botanical early Saturday morning if anyone else out there is looking to do the same and want to hop in the shuttle (or work out another arrangement).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page