West Coast Trail 2016 permits? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BarbaraB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default West Coast Trail 2016 permits?

Did the permit reservation system already open? They're showing everything completely sold out in July. Did it really open in January? Kinda sad they would open it more than six months prior if that's the case. Even JMT permits aren't opened that early. I am reading so many conflicting times on when they open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

yes they opened reservations in january
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Parks Canada switched to the new system this year, all campground reservations now open in January booking for the full season. Lake O'hara is still April and except for Jasper (and WCT) back country bookings remain the same for this year. This is similar to the US park service (I had to book the Teton Crest trail in January as well).

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

So, how soon after registration opens does West Coast Trail sell out these days? Is it within seconds, or are we talking minutes, hours, days?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Scaling New Heights

Last year I made a reservation on the 18th of March for a start on 7th of June, which was a Tuesday. Think weekends around this date were full or filling up quickly. July and August were fully booked at this time, perhaps also quite a lot of Sept. (but we didn't have time in Sept. so I didn't pay much attention). Still dates to choose in the let's say first week of June.

I checked it occasionally here and there before in February or so, I guess there were more options, not sure about summer but a few dates available also in July or so, and in the middle of March I became nervous because also the "shoulder zones" were filling up. Could be that here and there a date in July or August was free again.

There were also some optimistic people at the end thinking as a solo hiker it shouldn't be a big problem to get a spot in person - I'm not sure how this worked out. But as with every reservation so early in advance: there are cancellations.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 01-08-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When I did the WCT the first time in 2012 I reserved a solo spot just four days prior to my start date of August 7. This time there'll be 2 or 3 of us going, so we'd like to get reservations.
alpalmer likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: This and That

Think you are too late for August
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
rdo
Hittin' the Trails

2017 was crazy. I booked a group of 4 as soon as the reservation system opened at 8 am PST. I checked at 8:11 am and there were only afew single spots open in July and August. We booked a south start for August 05. You have to be quick. That said, if you show up at the entry points, there is a good chance that a single or double can walk on either that day or the next.
Al

Last edited by rdo; 01-13-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: wanna add more
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Managed to get my preferred first pick yesterday for 8 of us unbelievably on August 6th. Between 3 of us we got it. That day was booked in under 60 seconds though. This was my third year trying. Three times lucky! (:

Every journey begins with one small step.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page