Raft Cove Trail? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Default Raft Cove Trail?

Does anyone know the condition of the 2km trail into Raft Cove Provincial Park?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Any advice anyone?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Scaling New Heights

Last year it was fine but I haven't been this year. Alternately, if you have a canoe you can paddle down the Mackjack and set up at the mouth of the river.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

What? Paddle down the Mackjack and set up at the mouth? Oh boy, tell me more! We will be in that vicinity next week, big canoe trip to (mostly) the Broughtons, and we were debating on whether to bring backpacking gear as well for a quickie to an nice outer exposed beach.

If we can reach Raft cove with the canoe gear even better. A quick search says absolutely yes. Any concern about low water in the Macjack August? Can we make it, 17 foot loaded canoe, I don't mind lots of jumping out and hard work, but I'd rather not leave my Kevlar hull in a thin layer down kilometres of gravel.

Edit: Is the river tidal from the launch point? If so then no water level concerns that a tide-table doesn't take care of.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Yes, the trip back up/down the Mackjack is best with a high tide. It also requires getting out and dragging over logs periodically.

The Backroad mapbook will show you the directions to get to the put in. It requires a totally different route than you would take to access the trail. You drive instead out towards Winter Harbour (not Ronning Main)and the paddle is about two hours.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks upstream edge, so there was not too much blowdown/mud on the trail last year? How long did it take you to hike in?
We will be hiking, not canoeing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

No, I don't recall blowdown being an issue. There were a few mucky patches but nothing of concern. I would bet it is pretty dry right now. It takes about 30-45 minutes depending on your speed and load. I think the trail is only 2-kms but is a typical west coast rainforest trail with lots of roots etc. I have packed my whitewater kayak and gear in there a number of times.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks, Upstream! We'll give it a go. It's an old good boat well rigged and not too pretty nor expected to stay that way. I just don't want to drag it over endless bars of gravel, logs are fine. A craigslist gem greatly improved, not a summer beater advertised as "Canoe. Red. Floats. What more do want for $100?"

Pretty sure that between backroads mapbook and a lunch at the Ibis I can find the spot.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Scaling New Heights

I remember that it was an established old trail and there was an aging boardwalk. Topknot rings a bell but the Backroads Mapbook shows a few options for river access. There is also a cabin worthy of checking out on the 'other' side of the Mackjack from the main beach.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking

Has anyone been into Raft Cove this month. How is the road from Holberg and the trail into the beach? Thanks
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Last year's trip all was good (I think there had been reports of a slide on the road before we went but it was all good) New gravel parking area on Palmerston Main is 11 km from the San Jo Main junction. Great trail up to the Park boundary (all improvements by Strategic Resource Management) Shortly after crossing the Park boundary the trail deteriorated noticeably! and became more like a regular wet coast trail.i.e. muddy spots, roots, etc. Not a problem though since it is very short! Fresh water at the beach is scarce (probably more so this year) We brought some water, then ended up digging into a seepage in the sand & then filtering . Apparently fresh water is across the mouth of the river but you might not be able to cross the river due to tides (we didn't) I suppose you could ask someone with a boat to ferry you across (there will be campers that have paddled down the river for sure) The river itself is brackish for a long way up. It's a beautiful beach with lots of interesting rock & sand formations. More info here http://bcnatureguide.ca/bc-nature-vi...ovincial-park/
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking

Trail condition was not changed much. Rain makes it a bit more challenging, particularly if you go solo as I do. Hiking poles are a must. I decided on the rocky beach instead of the tent platforms at the sandy beach. The beach was fine as rocky beaches go and usually makes for some good beachcombing - alas no treasures this time. The only problem is taking the trail/short-cut to the rocky beach area. It is rarely used such that the salal is brutal, almost impenetrable at times - a real fight for the last 30 yards to the beach. Once there however - solitude. Only furry critters and birds about as camping companions.

The road from Raft Cove to Holberg is fine but rain makes for a lot of pot-holes. I also took a drive up to Winter Harbour on the way in to check out kayak launch areas and camping spots. Be aware that the public road from Holberg to WH was washed out in places last year and getting to WH means using Western Forest Product's logging road. The road itself is not that bad but driving switchback turns and tight Alder-sided shoulders knowing there are large logging trunks headed your way makes for a tense drive. I met two logging trucks and saw them coming from a safe distance so I had plenty of time to get safely to a firm part of the shoulder. WFP divers will radio other drivers to let them know that there are non-forestry vehicles about. However, there are some sections where a chance meeting with another vehicle could be disastrous. I will not be heading back there for a while! Happy Trails

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page