User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By solo75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Bullet Train Photos

There is very neat place between Banff and Lake Louise called "Morant Curve". When seen above from 1A (Bow Valley Parkway) it offers classic Rockies Landscape with Pacific railway line along the Bow River. Interesting effect can be made with long exposure that will make passing train look like a "bullet"; for instance, check this photo I found on Internet (credit "Vicki Mar Photography", found in bottom right corner)

Required technique is relatively straightforward: You need low light conditions in order to make long exposure work, and you need tripod (This is a bit more challenging that in sounds because trains don't pass every minute and while you wait light conditions change).

Lately I became interested in taking this kind of shot, but never made an attempt so far. Last evening I had to wait on train crossing in town as gate came down just about I was to walk across; not having anything to do, I remembered I had small compact camera in the pocket; just leaned it on the snow and set Shutter to 20 seconds without any expectations. Here's what came out:

Obviously there is lots left to be desired; trees totally out of place, reddish cast (because of flashing lights on train line crossing!), sky is very grainy when zoomed because of small camera limits, etc; but basic idea is here.

Can You share your experience and photos Any tips? What worked best for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	194681  

guntis likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 03-07-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That first shot is amazing! looks like a giant python snaking through the park.

My son-in-law runs track maintenance crews for CN rail from Edmonton through to Jasper park and south to kamloops. I'd love to see a similar photo for the CN line in jasper.. CN rail has an annual calendar. If you could get a shot like that it would be a great candidate.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Required technique is relatively straightforward: You need low light conditions in order to make long exposure work, and you need tripod (This is a bit more challenging that in sounds because trains don't pass every minute and while you wait light conditions change).
You can solve the light problem by using a solid ND filter which ranges from 1 to 10 stops.
guntis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Cool photos, and good idea.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The more I look at that shot you took, the more interesting it is especially because of the stars in the night sky and the shadow (from moonlight?) over the mountains. It's really a very unusual looking shot.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

lol, yes this is partially why I posted it. Yes, moon was out & this is why sky came out the way it did. Then that tiny wisp of clouds moved during 20 sec exposure, which just makes it more interesting.

But it is super grainy if zoomed, so I can't make anything of this pic. If it wasn't, I'd photoshop trees and reddish cast easily.

Again, would love to see some similar shots... anyone?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Just happened to have a camera in your pocket? Very well done. Despite all the 'flaws' you point out, it's a superb shot. The reddish tint adds to it, I think. Still a sense of danger.

I've not had the best of luck with long exposures so I kind of gave up, but now... I may need to look up train schedules in my area and dust off the tripod. And get a battery for the remote. Yeah, I don't use any of my gear to its full potential.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDM View Post

I've not had the best of luck with long exposures so I kind of gave up, but now... I may need to look up train schedules in my area and dust off the tripod. And get a battery for the remote. Yeah, I don't use any of my gear to its full potential.
just make sure you are ready for O'Hara trip; with bit of luck and clear skies, it is paradise for photographers up there, specially in the fall

Last edited by zeljkok; 03-07-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page