Panorama Photography - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I love the iPhone's auto stitch functionality. Did you know that it works in both directions (tap screen to change) and also works vertically? The vertical stitch is nice for waterfalls.

For any serious stitching I use Adobe Lightroom. It does 95% of what I need and the newest version even allows filling in missing areas that are natural due to perspective issues on a lot of panos.

A common issue with auto stitching panos is vignetting (darker corners on photos) which can be caused from filters and interferes with a clean stitch especially with blue skies. This is when I use Adobe Photoshop and select the "remove vignetting" option that's available for panoramic stitching.

Something a lot of folks don't realize is that panos with telephoto lenses can turn out very nice too - it's not just about wide angle lenses.
zeljkok likes this.

Vern Dewit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Summit Master

To me biggest argument in favor of (compacts | smartphones | ...) is practicability. Took this on Watridge Lake today. It was -20, I was on skis, there was wind & it was cold. I'd really not bother to stop, take pack off, take SLR out, mess around. But compact was in front pocket & whole thing took 5 seconds. Pano is not that great, but still better than nothing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watridgepano.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	188218  

vern.dewit and treord8 like this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 AM
Summit Master

1 more example of "sweep shooting" pano made with compact; it is quite technically sound on pixel level too. Took a bit of editing in CS6 to bring out skyline color, but overall quality is quite good. I am reading opinions now how "days of SLR are numbered". We'll see

(btw this is sunset from Nose Hill, 1 of largest urban parks in Canada)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pano1.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	194289  

guntis and vern.dewit like this.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
1 more example of "sweep shooting" pano made with compact; it is quite technically sound on pixel level too. Took a bit of editing in CS6 to bring out skyline color, but overall quality is quite good. I am reading opinions now how "days of SLR are numbered". We'll see

(btw this is sunset from Nose Hill, 1 of largest urban parks in Canada)
Nice shot. I think SLR's will still be around for a while, although a Fuji mirrorless camera I tried produced rather impressive results (I just couldn't handle the strange configuration of menus and dials).
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Summit Master

I am with you guntis, but I believe SLRs are moving into domain of professionals while enthusiasts like us --in particular outdoor enthusiasts-- will lean more and more to smaller cameras

I should really post detail article on this in photography forum in terms of my experience. I've been in SLR camp and have fairly good gear, but for Black Friday last year got me this Sony Rx100 --- 1st edition, under 500; great reviews, and all. It is still considerably technically inferior to SLR specially in low light conditions but deficiencies show up mostly after you blow up on pixel level. When sized on computer screen lots of time it is not so easy to tell the difference.
vern.dewit and VSDM like this.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

I decided to give my new phone's panorama setting a go. Turned out near 12000 pixels wide and 47mb. Photobucket was not a fan of this so I ended up with something just over half the size. I guess the next step is to look for some sort of proper hosting too.

This is Inglis Falls, just south of Owen Sound, along the Bruce Trail.

I'm fairly happy with the results, having put forth absolutely no effort on my end (apart from pivoting in place). Open to feedback
post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Solo hiking & backpacking, photography, Sports Nutrition, Nature observation, Rockhunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDM View Post
I'm fairly happy with the results, having put forth absolutely no effort on my end (apart from pivoting in place). Open to feedback
The panorama looks great. I'm not familiar with taking photos with a cell phone but if there is a way to adjust the exposure compensation to prevent blown highlights then the rainbow and clouds would have been more visible.
VSDM likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 PM
Summit Master

echo solo75. This is actually great capture in terms of several different things in the frame (waterfall, bit of trail, rainbow, Forest) just overexposed. In general once pixels are washed out, information is gone - while shadows can (sometimes, not always) be recovered.
VSDM likes this.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

It would seem there are no settings for exposure while in the Panorama mode. It looks like it auto's in for the first panel and carries those settings throughout. I'll have to keep that in mind and choose a brighter area to begin shooting.

The one from the top turned out better, in terms of exposure. I was in full light rather than tucked in to the trees.

Thanks for your input

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page