Full mushroom foraging - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Full mushroom foraging

I like cooking and always wanted to go mushroom foraging, but I don't know where/how to start?

any idea? Thanks a lot!

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I got into mushrooming several years ago. I'm no expert, but here's some advice.

If you want to hike with other mushroomers that can help you ID fungus as you find it, then consider joining up with these guys:

http://www.vanmyco.com/

If you want to try and do it by yourself, then basically, what you need is a couple of very good guidebooks. "All That The Rain Promises And More" by David Arora is a nice one to start with. So is "Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest" by Ammirati and Trudell.

Then, you just go hiking. Ideally into forests with no trails rather than along a popular trail.

Find some mushrooms. Use the book(s) to ID them. If they aren't in the books, they probably aren't edible.

If you can get a positive ID of an edible mushroom that you're interested in, and you are entirely confident tha tyou haven't made a mistake, then try eating it, following cooking directions from the book. Don't eat raw mushrooms.
shrubhugger likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Dru, your input are great help for me! I am also thinking to join Sunshine mushroom Society (www.scshroom.org) , will be back there with the updates if we go mushroom hunting this Sept and Oct.

I am also thinking to get the following two books as well:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The Sept guide is a good one. I don't have the New Savory Wild Mushroom one but I have heard it is good as well.

When it comes to edibility, always trust the latest published info the most. There are a couple of mushrooms that older books like the Arora guide (pub. early 1990s) suggest are edible, but which new information suggests should not be eaten, such as angel wings, Pleurocybella porrigens.

See here for more infohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurocybella_porrigens
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

For a complete novice I would recommend to start ‘hunting’ with someone experienced or to join mushroom club outings. Individual mushrooms of the same species can look very different depending on where they grow and at what stage of development they are, which can be rather confusing. Books rarely show this variety. And books don't include every possible species.

Not mentioned yet, many clubs have a show each fall, with lots of mushrooms on display and experts present to chat with (and to bring your own collection along for ID). The show of the Vancouver Mycological Society is on October 25 (http://www.vanmyco.com/).

I also like this website http://www.mykoweb.com/ but its a bit cumbersome to click through all the links unless the choices are already narrowed down (and its California mushrooms).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClauS View Post
For a complete novice I would recommend to start ‘hunting’ with someone experienced or to join mushroom club outings. Individual mushrooms of the same species can look very different depending on where they grow and at what stage of development they are, which can be rather confusing. Books rarely show this variety. And books don't include every possible species.

Not mentioned yet, many clubs have a show each fall, with lots of mushrooms on display and experts present to chat with (and to bring your own collection along for ID). The show of the Vancouver Mycological Society is on October 25 (http://www.vanmyco.com/).

I also like this website http://www.mykoweb.com/ but its a bit cumbersome to click through all the links unless the choices are already narrowed down (and its California mushrooms).

Thank you so much for your input! good suggestions!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

David Arora's "All The Rain Promises" is a good field guide, but his large "Mushrooms Demystified" from which the info in the former was drawn is mush more comprehensive (haha).

After several years of amateur enthusiasm for fall mushrooming, I can give you a couple salient points that may help:

-Picking mushrooms does not necessarily negatively affect the organism (which could be made up of miles of unseen mycelium. the root-like part that makes up most of the organism). The mushroom "fruit" is the mechanism whereupon it spreads it's reproductive spores. Picking and handling a mushroom may actually help disperse those spores to new environments. Picking ALL the mushrooms in a local environment would have the opposite effect (more on this below).
-In BC, there may be up to 30K species of mushrooms, with perhaps only a quarter of those scientifically described, and the vast majority of these easily falling into the LBM category (Little Brown Mushroom. Yes, this is a real thing). Most of these LBMs can only be reliably differentiated under a microscope by their spores.
-Of the minority of recognizable described species, perhaps 8 (from memory) are deadly and NEED to be memorized (as well as their look-alikes), several are not deadly poisonous but perhaps would cause varying levels of GI distress if eaten(up to severe, perhaps with certain food/drink combinations such as alcohol), a dozen or so are choice delicacies and should be noted, and a few dozen are not known for being edible but are interesting for other reasons (depending on what you think is interesting in a mushroom).
-There are no tricks that will help you identify if a mushroom is poisonous (such as "A poisonous mushroom will tarnish a silver coin", or "It's only poisonous if it has spots."). Old wives tales should be suspect.
-BC Parks does not allow mushroom gathering. I used to wonder why, then one day when I was walking to Cheakamus Lake I met an "expert" hosting a group mushroom forage. They picked every mushroom they could find, whether or not they had 30 of them already, whether or not they were of interest or not. Most were discarded in a pile at the TH. Not only does this affect the reproductive cycle, but seriously affects the enjoyment of other park users (insert "off-leash dogs on trails in Parks" analogy here). Rangers DO enforce this.
-Mushroom Festivals are a great way to meet real experts and fellow enthusiasts. http://www.whistlernaturalists.ca/?page_id=20
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

All wild mushrooms can be eaten.
Some more than once.

There are a few species that are common, edible, relatively easy to identify, no poisonous look-alikes and delicious. Stick to the simple until you've learnt more.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeGirl View Post
I am also thinking to get the following two books as well:
I have the original Savoury Mushroom and wasn't too impressed by it, maybe the new one has more details....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Great subject, picked Pine Mushrooms with a friend. Did stop by and checked out the Mushroom Collection Stations up the Nahlaltch a few years ago.

Karl

Last edited by KARVITK; 09-09-2015 at 02:18 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks everyone for your input! really appreciate it! a lots to learn about mushrooms here. A little bit off the topic, I saw a local Lingzhi mushroom on sale @ T & T today which is ~$70 per lb, I thought this kind of mushroom was only in Asia, anyone knows that mushroom here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8337.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	90490  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8338.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	90498  

Last edited by mazeGirl; 09-09-2015 at 01:10 AM.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeGirl View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! really appreciate it! a lots to learn about mushrooms here. A little bit off the topic, I saw a local Lingzhi mushroom on sale @ T & T today which is ~$70 per lb, I thought this kind of mushroom was only in Asia, anyone knows that mushroom here?
They usually don't grow in BC but there are mushroom farms which grow them: http://www.yusfarm.ca/Company/index.htm
http://www.apforganic.com/
Lingzhi more commonly known as Reishi has medicinal properties so no wonder they are very expensive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page