C/C = Cariboo / Chilcotin Bridge Valley over to Lord River and Taseko Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark_BC
  • 2 Post By Mark_BC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Bridge Valley over to Lord River and Taseko Lake

Late August 2016 I did a trip in the Chilcotins through an area that I think gets back country skiers in winter, but I donít believe anyone has done this particular traverse in summer. It was a combination hike / packraft from the Bridge River valley northwards over and down into the Lord River into Taseko Lake. I took lots of video and photos but I just canít deal with the video right now so this will have to do. Spoiler alert!!! I survived.

I love looking at Google Earth and sometimes I find an area that just screams out to be explored. Usually it takes a few tries to get through the route I come up with. I think it took me three tries to get through (one previous trip is described here and another one I did the previous year down the adjacent Duane Creek is here). I tried twice with my bike which was not practical, then just decided to load up and hike it.

I drove up with my dog to the end of the Bridge Valley road at 60 something kilometers to the cabin by Thunder Creek, around 1600 m. Along the way we scared up a few black bears by the road which I wasn't too thrilled about Ė after the last trip up here.

I brought a newly acquired Monowalker thinking that it would lighten my load but it was totally impractical for the amount of weight I was hauling. I could barely maneuver it in the parking area so there was no way I was going to drag that through the bush. So I quickly re-deployed my equipment to my backpacks, which I had brought just in case of this happening. Big one on the back and small one on the front.

The next morning I headed out with Reina and we got most of the way up the valley. There are game trails to follow if you know where to go which makes the going much easier. Iíve been up and down this valley so many times I now know where they areÖ

It was after lunch and we got to a point in the meadows near the river and I noticed that I was missing my paddles!!!! OMG!!!!! I had no idea where they were.

Thatís what you get for just stuffing them in a side pocket. I couldnít believe how stupid I was. I was concerned because when you go backwards itís difficult to exactly retrace your steps, so I could inadvertently backtrack past them. That of course happened and I went all the way back to the cabin and had to double back my exact route on the way up. Of course I found them a few hundred feet up the trail from the cabinÖ

And because of concerns about bears, I didnít want to leave most of my gear unattended up the valley so I ended up having to do the hike 3 times that day, pretty much fully loaded. What a way to start the trip. At least the weather was nice. We camped at the spot I got to earlier, my feet were getting sore.

treord8 and VSDM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Awesome. We look forward to more. Heading into Taseko Lakes tomorrow, but for a much less rigorous trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: I enjoy hiking

This sounds like the start of a great trip! but the pictures aren't displaying for me.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The next day we had to soon cross over to the west side of the river to avoid willow thickets on the east. Plus at the head of the valley I was going to hike up the west side of the creek, west of where it tumbles down the steep slopes. I decided to use the packraft to cross the river. I could have waded across but I wanted to try to keep my feet dry for as long as possible.

That was a good crossing and I only almost bailed once. I didn’t bring a PFD because everything I was intending to paddle was pretty tame. I brought one for Reina. I got that crossing all on video. But here I will only present to you a screen shot to keep you waiting in suspense to watch the full feature length film I will eventually put out… some day…

At the end of the valley we had lunch amongst the talus rocks with all the pikas and marmots. I contemplated the big climb up to the alpine. At this location I had previously decided to abandon an earlier attempt with my bike because it looked too rough. Here are some photos I took from this spot on a previous trip:

Pika:

Marmot:

Little weasel scurrying around:

But as soon as we got through the initial brush the forest opened up nicely and the hike was extremely easy in terms of finding a clear route up. But it was pretty steep and I had to take frequent breaks. I found a stagnant pond to filter from.

And then suddenly we got to the top and it opened up into alpine. This is looking north in the direction we were just heading if we continued that way:

Instead we turned to the left, to the west, to cross over the head of the valley and then turn south again:

You can see the steep cliff edge along the top of the valley, which continues all along the length of the valley, hence why we had to hike up to the head of the valley to get up to alpine. This is looking south-west towards where we were going:

Looking south back down the valley to where we came from:

We headed westwards across the upper feeder creek and up further into the volcanic terrain on the other side of the “valley” which we were basically out of now. We headed south, kind of back-tracking our previous day’s progress, but paralleling it up on the alpine tables above the valley. The terrain became more and more barren.

I looked for a camping spot and found a sandy patch to pitch the tent.

But there was no water to be found. Further ahead I saw a remnant snow field so I filled up the collapsible bucket with snow and put it in my pots in the sun to melt. Reina had a lot of fun playing in the snow.

I recommend filling up with water from the last creeks as you transition from green to brown. The volcanic soil just soaks up the water and there are no creeks.
treord8 and VSDM like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page