19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Lynn Peak to The Needles Traverse

Full Trip Report:
http://stevensong.com/lynn-peak
http://stevensong.com/the-needles

A very local trip. The built of the Coast Mtns is very different than the Rockies in that way that tall/isolated doesn't necessarily mean tough, and on the other side, small doesn't necessarily mean worthless. The North Shore is mostly forested bumps. But still, those peaks provide endless challenges. In summer it's the bush and in winter it's steep snow. Trips like this one for example, are more difficult hence more satisfying than some Duffey classic, Cayoosh Mountain for example. Going up Lynn Peak has very little to say, but the traverse of Needles require careful route finding. There's no bushwhacking whatsoever, but the trade off is steep snow up to 50-55 degrees for more than one section. The hardest part come in between Middle and North Needle. Now doing the entire traverse and back the same way is fairly physically demanding. Took us 10 hours on a fast pace.

guntis, mazeGirl, Dac-van and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
The built of the Coast Mtns is very different than the Rockies in that way that tall/isolated doesn't necessarily mean tough, and on the other side, small doesn't necessarily mean worthless. The North Shore is mostly forested bumps. But still, those peaks provide endless challenges.
That is really well said & couldn't agree more. Complex micro-terrain, and there have been accidents, people lost, etc.

I've been only on South Needle, but from what I gathered of other people reports toughest part (in summer conditions at least) is drop from North Needle on the other side to col below Coliseum; advantage of this is that you can do a loop & not come back same way, as you guys did.
StevenSong and TimeToGoHiking like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Was looking over there from Fromme Sunday thinking about doing just what you were about to do. Looks like you had a perfect conditions kind a day for such an endeavor. Any idea on the total distance and elevation gain/loss?

Every journey begins with one small step.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

It is a fun trip, and just around the corner of where we live. I enjoyed your photos- they are much better than mine were.
StevenSong likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Was looking over there from Fromme Sunday thinking about doing just what you were about to do. Looks like you had a perfect conditions kind a day for such an endeavor. Any idea on the total distance and elevation gain/loss?
Fromme is on my list too although I might use a different approach for it.

You can download GPX file from my blog's trip report. Then browse it in your Garmin to see the stats. It definitely has some good up and downs.
sidetrip likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 AM
Summit Master

Steven, you can do a loop that will combine couple of things. First up standard Fromme from Prospect Road; then drop to Pipeline Pass and pick-up "Eric The Red" -- it will bring you to Thunderbird Ridge [nicest viewpoint for me in Grouse area]; then side trip Dam/Little Goat if you wish and down to Grouse. Descend BCMC --> Baden Powell --> Prospect Road, or simply drop to Pipeline Pass and return via Mtn. Highway same way you came up.
StevenSong likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Steven, you can do a loop that will combine couple of things. First up standard Fromme from Prospect Road; then drop to Pipeline Pass and pick-up "Eric The Red" -- it will bring you to Thunderbird Ridge [nicest viewpoint for me in Grouse area]; then side trip Dam/Little Goat if you wish and down to Grouse. Descend BCMC --> Baden Powell --> Prospect Road, or simply drop to Pipeline Pass and return via Mtn. Highway same way you came up.
I see, will have to check bivouac for those trails. I missed Thunderbird Ridge last December when I went to check out Dam, Little Goat and Goat Mtn. Sonny Bou just went to Thunderbird and it looks pretty good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Summit Master

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Thanks for sharing Steven, I find your reports a great source of information (and inspiration).
StevenSong likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

Thanks for the report Steven. Lots of great shots on your site to show the slope angles of all those ups and downs. I downloaded the GPS track from your website to check on the stats... 22 km and over 2200m elevation gain. Another one to add to my "to do" list.
StevenSong likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page