Robie Reid and the mystery of the wonky bridge - June 29th, 2015 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By 5thhorseman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Robie Reid and the mystery of the wonky bridge - June 29th, 2015

Robie Reid TRs are a rare enough event on CT to give this hike a certain aura and feeling of challenge. Ben and I had been knocking off long day hikes in awesome times, and we certainly felt up to it. Yet the thought of tackling the uphill slog of uphill slogs meant only a last-minute decision, without any time to ponder, would get us there.

So there we were, heading up the Florence FSR the night before in the old green machine. She was up to the task and mileage markers every km helped us find our campsite after a couple of wrong turns. Don't take the turnoff down an overgrown road right at the 20km marker! Not pleasant backing up out of there in a car! Instead take the turnoff just 100m before that.

The next day we headed out at 6am; it was already muggy and hot. We couldn't wait to get to out of the woods to the alpine and cooler temps. The connector trail was a great walk, and this wonky looking bridge seemed secure enough.

We had little water with us and expected to have a minor river crossing at the head of the lake where we could refill. As we ascended the trail we slowly realised that there was no river, no stream, not even a trickle of water anywhere. Ben had a small canister of water so we pushed on, aided by the odd blueberry. Within 3 hours we were at the tarns. No streams, just tarns. Of dead, still water. We took our chances and filled up. Up to now we'd barely had a view, but now it was close enough to touch.

The route described in other TRs appears to be the one in red, but that seemed to be filled in with snow. Even if it was open it was sure to be wet. The green line roughly indicates our route, which was almost bone dry.

Up to the final section running diagonally to the left was simple enough with minimal exposure. The crux took us up a gully with only one difficult part that has a rappel sling for the downclimb.

Once at the notch I realised I hadn't researched this portion of route at all! Do we descend to the snowfield? Up and around the minor summit to the right or left? A few cairns gave us the clues we needed and up and to the left it was. After that the ridge came into view and it was an easy scramble to ...

... the radio tower.

No troubles figuring out the route up the summit block with all the wear from previous parties.

Ben making final moves to the summit.

Summit shot.

It's hard to leave the summit, especially one as hard fought as this one. I don't feel good unless I've spent a good hour, which we did. The feeling of leaving, as Ben described it, is always bittersweet.

The Judge. Are you next?

Half the journey is the descent, a fact of which you are painfully aware of on Robie Reid. The downhill portion was fine; one could measure the progress by looking across the valley. But the connector trail seemed endless, endless, plodding. Knowing a km of uphill on a gravel road still awaited us made it more painful. We looked forward to that wonky bridge our sign that the end of the trail was near. Where was it? On and on we went, then suddenly, the gravel road! Why did we not come across the bridge? We only saw one alternate route, but it had flagging tape across it. Too tired, we stumbled into the car and sped homewards.

At a trip time of 13:45, excluding the hour at the summit, we didn't make our goal of a 12 hour return. Maybe on a cooler day. Maybe at a different age. Maybe never. Bye bye Robie Reid. Till next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0094.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	61233  

Name:	DSC_0099.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	61241  

Name:	DSC_0108 (edited).JPG
Views:	641
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	61249  

Name:	DSC_0115.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	61257  

Name:	DSC_0121.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	61265  

Name:	DSC_0122.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	61273  

Name:	DSC_0137.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	61289  

Name:	DSC_0145.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	61297  

Name:	DSC_0157.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	61305  

Name:	DSC_0128.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	61313  

simonc and Dru like this.

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 07-03-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Is this the mystery of the pictureless TR as well?

Okay good to see the photos are back, I like looking at Robie Reid pictures and hearing about the trip reports. Nice one.

Last edited by Spectrum; 07-03-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Weird, some of the photos were deleted when I posted. Fixed now (I hope), though I have 11 photos and only 10 thumbnails!

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 07-03-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Congratulations guys, well done!

Wonky bridge I wondered when that popped up on the connector trail until I read at the end that you missed it on the way out. Usually there are little melt rivulets below the snow patches where one can fill a canteen; but the east aspect below the SE peak is sure bare for this early in the year. That does means longer snow free window to get to the summit this year (if we don't have a total forest closure).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Sweet very Sweet. Congratulations on your successful day hike and summit. Your report gave good information on conditions.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page