User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:05 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenagen View Post
Thanks for posting. Awesome pictures! I wish I read this post before we ventured on hike around Garibaldi lake on August 1-3 2015. We could have avoided some mistakes.
Did I meet you at the Burton hut on Aug 1? Didn't get much chance to talk to you two. I was the solo hiker who was also hiking around the lake. How did the rest of your trip go?
Lenagen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 01:36 AM
Scaling New Heights

Impressive. Do you have a GPS track log for your route? I would be very keen to see that.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I will have to work up to this as that looks like an amazing trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Fantastic trip and great pictures! I've done the trip around once before solo and I'd love to go back and do it again!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Did I meet you at the Burton hut on Aug 1? Didn't get much chance to talk to you two. I was the solo hiker who was also hiking around the lake. How did the rest of your trip go?
Hi!
Yeah, that was us! Nice to meet you here again! Sorry, I was totally wasted when we arrived at Burton Hut, as we hiked from the parking lot through Panorama Ridge to the Burton Hut on the first day and the final bushwhacking on a very steep slope with lots of dead trees in the dusk nearly killed me and when we got up next morning you were gone. Next day we wasted three hours bushwacking around the creek and lakes as we did not have the guts to cross the creek near Burton Hut as the water was freezing cold and rough. We scrambled above the glacier on steep slopes of Guard avoiding the glacier as we did not have crampons. This was a sketchy scramble on an ugly scree. I now regret not walking on the glacier a few meters instead. This would have been so much easier. We did not go to Glaciology huts because ascent to the Table ridge from Glaciology huts did not seem feasible to us from a distance. We chose to scramble along the creek closer to the lake and stayed in a tent nearby. That was our biggest mistake, as higher up the creek turned into waterfall and there was a couple of really steep places with virtually nothing to hold on to. We still made it up in 1.5 hours and headed to Price Mountain through Table meadows, walked on the ridge leading to Clinker peak and instead of turning right to the col between Price and Clinker we turned left (another error!) to find ourselves on a large lava field and spent another 2.5 hours walking the lava and huge boulders and then had to climb the ridge to find our way to the marked Mount Price trail. We made it to the parking lot around midnight as we did not want to stay in Garibaldi lake camping site, which was full. I will post some pictures with notes here sometime later. I hope you will post some pics too! Cheers!

Last edited by Lenagen; 08-18-2015 at 06:26 PM.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Holy smokes, that's a lot of photos for one TR !!! The pictures do do the talking and it's nice to "read" a TR of that style. Words sometimes get in the way.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenagen View Post
Hi!
Yeah, that was us! Nice to meet you here again! Sorry, I was totally wasted when we arrived at Burton Hut, as we hiked from the parking lot through Panorama Ridge to the Burton Hut on the first day and the final bushwhacking on a very steep slope with lots of dead trees in the dusk nearly killed me and when we got up next morning you were gone. Next day we wasted three hours bushwacking around the creek and lakes as we did not have the guts to cross the creek near Burton Hut as the water was freezing cold and rough. We scrambled above the glacier on steep slopes of Guard avoiding the glacier as we did not have crampons. This was a sketchy scramble on an ugly scree. I now regret not walking on the glacier a few meters instead. This would have been so much easier. We did not go to Glaciology huts because ascent to the Table ridge from Glaciology huts did not seem feasible to us from a distance. We chose to scramble along the creek closer to the lake and stayed in a tent nearby. That was our biggest mistake, as higher up the creek turned into waterfall and there was a couple of really steep places with virtually nothing to hold on to. We still made it up in 1.5 hours and headed to Price Mountain through Table meadows, walked on the ridge leading to Clinker peak and instead of turning right to the col between Price and Clinker we turned left (another error!) to find ourselves on a large lava field and spent another 2.5 hours walking the lava and huge boulders and then had to climb the ridge to find our way to the marked Mount Price trail. We made it to the parking lot around midnight as we did not want to stay in Garibaldi lake camping site, which was full. I will post some pictures with notes here sometime later. I hope you will post some pics too! Cheers!
Great to hear from you, glad you completed your trip safely! I got lucky with the creek crossing at the Burton hut - I got a ride across on a packraft. That sure saved me some time.

I just posted a TR with a bunch of photos, would enjoy seeing some of yours as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page