Capilano-The Story of a River - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography
Default Capilano-The Story of a River

Author....Dr. James W.Morton
Date of publication....1970
Publisher...McClelland and Stewart, Toronto
Printed by...Evergreen Press, Vancouver
ISBN....not available

This is a book I recently staggered into at a used bookstore,and it is able to answer a lot of my questions about the Capilano Valley and the North Shore in general.
It contains chapters about the valley's native peoples,timber use, recreational use,fisheries, the dams,and even a detailed account of the first complete trek of the area by Joe Capilano, and three game adventurers of the day....

Many of the area's influential people and colourful characters are mentioned, and the book is a great historical resource...

From the Recreation chapter, for example, this tidbit...
"Another project was promoted by Charles Mee in 1904.He planned to build a chalet for tourists at the summit of Mt Crown.Several cottages were to be available for rental by the day or the week and a central restaurant would provide guests with meals. It was a most grandiose project when one considers that Crown,some two miles north of Grouse Mountain, was some distance away from the end of the Water Works Road and there were no ski tows,cable cars,or helicopters to transport building materials and supplies up the 5000 foot peak...."

If you can find it, it's a must have for the North Shore afficionado
Dac-van likes this.
Quote Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Thanks for the tip, Mick. Sounds very interesting!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

It is, Jimbo, I was reading about the most fun activity of the day. It seems there was a log flume stretching from Sisters Creek in the Cap Valley all the way to the waterfront.(A similar one existed from Rice Lake to the waterfront also) Thrillseekers of the day would try to hop onto a cedar bolt that would support their weight, the ride down the flume on Sundays.
The Flowriders of yesteryear !!

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: I enjoy hiking

That would be a blast! I've read about the flume as well, probably off an information board on a trail in the canyon. I guess it would have been in operation before the railway up there? I'd love to find some old pictures...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I'm going to try and find out if I can reprint the first hand version of the trek that Mackay, Fripp, Horne, and Capilano did when they first reconned the valley end to end. It's gonna be the oldest school report ever!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Prior to 1925, when the watershed was officially closed, the Cap Valley was the standard approach to climbing Crown, Strachan, The Lions, and a number of other peaks now off limits ...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

there is apparently a whole other section of canyon that is under the reservoir since they built the dam...

i mean vancouver needs water - you cxan't get around that - but imagine what it would be like with huge old growth and a flourishing salmon run all the way to the back end of the valley had they never logged, burned, and dammed it
Dac-van likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

You're right about that other section of canyon, Dru. As far as timber goes, they logged the valley full bore until 1925, and it didn't begin again until Cleveland passed away. In 1925 there was a huge fire- I've seen the evidence of that in lower Crown Creek Valley- and that was why they shut the loggers down at that point.

After Cleveland passed on it was another story, and logging was only totally banned in the Capilano and Seymour watersheds in 1994.(I still find this annoying )

The description of the valley before logging was something special, and of course, the remaining old growth is pretty scarce.Most important is that we keep what we still have, I guess.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: whitewater canoeing backcounty skiing hiking

I canoed the Cap recently and the flat sections in the canyon are spellbinding... jst twirling along looking at the cliffs, moss and waterfall listening to the drip of water.

It's unbelievable to have that right in the city. Reading about its old days as the city/industry encroached must be neat. There may be beefs with some aspects of how the watershed and upper canyon have been treated, but I wonder what the worst-case-scenario proposals were? I sure that over time lots of people were pushing for various worse ideas.

P.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range
It seems there was a log flume stretching from Sisters Creek in the Cap Valley all the way to the waterfront......
That reminds me of the recreational luge ride I think Grouse had maybe back in the 70/80's. Does anyone have any info on that or even have the great opportunity to try it?! My imagination when I was told about it probably made it better than it was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page