Capilano-The Story of a River - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by yarnellboat
It's unbelievable to have that right in the city. Reading about its old days as the city/industry encroached must be neat. There may be beefs with some aspects of how the watershed and upper canyon have been treated, but I wonder what the worst-case-scenario proposals were? I sure that over time lots of people were pushing for various worse ideas.
In the end, they made the right decisions, at least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCer
That reminds me of the recreational luge ride I think Grouse had maybe back in the 70/80's. Does anyone have any info on that or even have the great opportunity to try it?! My imagination when I was told about it probably made it better than it was.
You mean the summer cart ride on a big rail? It was called the Mountain Coaster and it went from the top of the cut down to midstation, down near the Paper Trail run. I enjoyed it the few times I rode it. It had only one control which was the brake. They only had it for a year or two because someone forgot to brake at the end and hit the person in front of him, IIRC.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Martin, you're lucky to have tried it. Yeah, as a kid I had envisioned a type of suspended track winding through the forest as it went down slope. Pretty close I guess. Some cool things come and go...

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Collecting shoe boxes, trafficking sea shells, growing vegetables, and tracking the \"wood ape\" aka yetti

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

I'm going to try and find out if I can reprint the first hand version of the trek that Mackay, Fripp, Horne, and Capilano did when they first reconned the valley end to end. It's gonna be the oldest school report ever!
Old school is good mick!

----------------------------------------
Hank: How do you like that? Peggy, come in here. A camera in the bedroom. This is kinda fun. This is Hank Hill with the news.
Peggy Hill: Hank, you are terrible.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

Had a look at whats left of my old Water Board map to see if it showed where the water piped to Vancouver came from before the Capilano Dam was built in 1954. It's a neat old map,dated Feb.,1929 with a scale of 1:31,680. Pic.#3 shows the intake near Nickey Cr.,the pipe ran down to and under Burrard Inlet to Prospect Point.
In Pic.#1 you can see tiny Capilano Lk.near Eastcap Cr.and near the top is a red line,the start of a trail that ran north to Furry Cr. but maybe more interesting is what I believe is the old railway starting from the waterfront and running up "Capilano Cr."on the west side of the river and later running up both sides and ending near Daniel Cr. east of Mt. Hanover. There are also several spurs on both sides with some near Crown Cr. that run close to where the bottom of the skyride is now. the north and south parts of the map combined measure approx. 4' by 3'. I have it on microfiche(that word always sounds like a small carp to me,but I digress). If anyone knows where I can have it reprinted in color please let me know.
Berg Heil.
Denis
Dru likes this.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

That's a project we're definitely going to have to tackle, Denis. Can you tell what year it's from yet ?

Microfiche

D'oh, you'd think I could read, but no. I see I didn't need to ask the above question
post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

1929,Mick
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Cool, that's way older than I thought [8D]

I'll have to show you the set of maps Chilliwack Jack willed to me on the Seymour Valley.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Not sure if this still an active thread but i just read that book and am now fascinated to find out more on old trails etc. I've lived here all my life and fished and hiked around here a lot. Any leads to more info, maps etc much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page