Mosquito/Bug bites- Prevention and treatment - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.
Default Mosquito/Bug bites- Prevention and treatment

Hello everyone,

First sorry for the lenghy post, I want to give all the information so I can get an informed response.

My family are avid hikers and backpackers and was looking for some insight with regard to bug protection/prevention.

Both my wife and my 11 year old son have a very bad allergic reaction to mosquito bites. It will swell up very quickly and get rings around it.
We've gone to the doctor, who referred us to an allergist. An allergist tested and confirmed it is known as something called "Skeeter Syndrome".
Luckily, we've come to learn it is not fatal if left untreated but more uncomfortable than anything.

We've been given a prescription steroid treatment to isolate the bite and prevent it from swelling, but I was looking at options to prevent the bites from happening in the first place.

Couple things I've read.

1. DEET works, but it's affects are short term, and I know it is not good for younger people (or anyone really).

2. We used Piactive (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-6...nt-%28175ml%29) which seems to work well and has 0% Deet.

As an alternative to skin based prevention I was inquiring about:

1. Permethrin treated clothing
a. How well does it work, and is it safe to use on youth clothing (My son is 11, but is about the size of a 13 year old boy (125lbs).

2. Bug hats/suits - How well do they work?

I really appreciate any advice or other things you can think of that can prevent bug bites.

Thanks!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I've used permethrin before with excellent results. You definitely will get varied opinions about its safety. From the information I have looked at, it is completely safe when used correctly, that is allowing it to dry completely when applied to clothing or other materials before the need. Don't apply it to clothing while wearing it, don't spray it on the skin.

I also have an "Original Bug Shirt" from this company http://www.bugshirt.com/ . It is also very effective in preventing mosquitos, sand flies, and black flies from biting. They have a child version. The cloth is a high density fabric that inhibits penetration. Their items are not cheap but it reduces use of repellents.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page