Heart condition? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Heart condition?

Hey all,

My GF and I have been actively hiking since last year. She has had 2 heart surgeries and is quite the trooper, thought it might be fun to gauge interest on others with heart conditions and get a hike planned.

Nothing formal yet, just testing the waters.....

One step at a time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigidTaco View Post
Hey all,

My GF and I have been actively hiking since last year. She has had 2 heart surgeries and is quite the trooper, thought it might be fun to gauge interest on others with heart conditions and get a hike planned.

Nothing formal yet, just testing the waters.....
I imagine you both are retired and enjoying the natural beauty of our outdoors. During a hike up to Mt. Outram in August 2012, met this man hiking up to Mt. Outram, who was doing it at a respectable pace. I call him amazing Franz, from Vancouver and of Austrian nationality I presume. He was 80 years old, and three to four years previously had a two of triple bypass surgery..... He carried some kind of monitor which gave him readings on his heart rate which he watched very carefully and took brief rests. I was stunned to meet someone with that age and having had that kind of surgery.

Here is the URL to a picture of him.

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/375000/375246.jpg

This hike is one of those big ones.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
I imagine you both are retired and enjoying the natural beauty of our outdoors.
Wish we were, I guess I should have been more clear.... I'm 34 and she 30. The reason im out and looking is because we are so young, might be a nice motivator for some people to find someone young with a similar condition.

At my GF's age it can be tough for people to understand or even realize (Every time we go in for check ups/tests its older folks who look very well retired). So many times people think she is young and healthy and can jet up a mountain with ease when in actual fact there are underlying issues no one can see in our hiking gear. A feat for her is very different than a feat for someone much more able bodied. She is very tough and pushes herself so hard, might be nice for someone struggling or even similar in terms of persistence to have someone to relate to.

Cheers

One step at a time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Understood Rigid/Taco..
A great credit to your girlfriend; wishing you both well. It is a positive thing to push one's limits' but within reason and understanding thoroughly what one can or not do.

Cheers to both of you as well

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Full marks for anyone who strives to enjoy the outdoors to the fullest, no matter their situation. I would venture to guess that a lot of CT'ers have physical impediments but work through or around them. For example, there is a great young lady on CT (Ashi) who does some of the sweetest treks out there, but she pushes it all while having to monitor her diabetes. Well done, I say, to anyone does the best they can within their limitations.

Calgary's sure to have outdoor nuts who who would share your GF's situation in common. Quite a number of CT'ers are from Alberta.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page