Kayaks at costco - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Starting Member

Kayaks at costco

A while ago they were selling kayaks at costco for $440 or something like that and now there is a $50 dollar coupon for it. When I went to check it out though, they were already sold out and I was put at the bottom of a rather long waiting list.

Has anyone else seen this kayak? Is it any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Hiking, biking, skiing
So are the Kayaks $50 or are they $50 off?

----------------------------------------
From this point on, all serious posts must be immediately followed by a tasteless joke.

In God We Trust, Vengeance Is Mine Sayeth The Lord, No Fear- Indian Larry (1949-2004)

B.F.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

I doubt very much that any kayak at Costco is very good. I'm not up on the terms of construction, but I do know that they will be very heavy and probably not very seaworthy. That said, it would probably make a good cottage kayak for the local pond.

If you had a link with a product I could make a more accurate assesment.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Starting Member

They're $50 dollars off.

I'll try and find the name of it, on first glance it didn't seem any different from the kayaks they sell at Coast mountain sports but I'm a newb so I don't know what to look for.

Has anyone seen it? What would I look for in a kayak?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Starting Member

I think this is it but not sure

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...hierPath=2271*

What do u guys think?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Intermediate Member

Interest: This and That
You haven't indicated how you plan to use the kayak. Is it for rivers, lakes, messing about, ocean, day, touring?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Well, for $400 it could be ok, depending on what you are gonna use it for.

It's made of polyethelene, which is really heavy.

If I were you and had $400 to spend on a boat, I'd go used. You could find a much better boat for the same price. Check out some of the paddling websites to see what others think=

www.paddling.net
www.myccr.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:44 PM

Interest: Birdwatching Writing (for magazines) Any Nature studies
A rule of thumb I saw on a consumer show is take most items at large box stores. If the item is under $50 then the same quality of product is 75% more for the same quality at other retail outlets (much higher mark up and overhead). If over $50 then a 50% price difference. (your $400 kayak would be $600 at MEC, etc.)

Also the 'quality' issue is largely a myth. Sears, Costco, Walmart, etc. have much more clout with suppliers and are much more quality oriented than smaller retailers claim. A supplier selling 10,000 sleeping bags to Canadian Tire is going to take much more care in quality and service than an order for 100 to a smalle retail outlet. Who do you think gets the priority? Who gets the first 'call back' when a message is left or a quality issue needs attention? Of course it's Walmart, Costco, Sears, etc. who get the golden treatment from suppliers.

----------------------------------------
After hiking for 35 years I still haven't reached the end of the trail.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Intermediate Member

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing
I don't know if this will help you with your purchase? but this is my thought on the topic.

I have thought previously on buying myself a kayak. After some good thinking on storage hassles, and transportation hassles - I decided that it is much better for me to just rent one whenever I need one. That way I can use different kinds, try out new models, and choose between unstable fast ones or stable slow ones depending on conditions.

Also remember that the kayak is only the beginning of the expense - $200 or so for a paddle - $100 for PFD - $200 for other misc gear (sprayskirt, throwrope, etc). Those things are all included in a rental.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 02:17 PM

We zipped down to see them at Cosco here in Calgary. They look even better built than the Azul kayaks at Coast Montain Sports ($200 more) or the same size Kayaks at MEC (way,way more). The Costco kayaks come with the spray skirt. You can get a certified PFD for $30 and a decent paddle for $59.

If you have a Bargain Finder where you live, look through the ads. You can get a PFD for 10 bucks. Canoes and Kayaks are cheap if you buy them in late Fall. Put in a free ad 'Kayak wanted'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page