hiking in Arizona - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Likely not much crowds. Tourists only know Grand Canyon, Sedona, Humphreys Peak so on. They don't knwo that Tucson area is just as beautiful.

I never make reservation on anything and didn't have any issue even in spring break vacation. For camping it might be more of an issue but worst case you can just car camp, basically anywhere you can park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:00 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
Tourists only know Grand Canyon, Sedona, Humphreys Peak so on.
Maybe so, but Grand Canyon is still such unique wonder it should be on anyone list. You just need to know where to go, that's all. Main drag on South Rim is like Lake Louise in the Rockies, and Bright Angel would be like Plain of Six Glaciers -- beautiful, but overrun. But if you move away there are tons of trails even on more developed South Rim where you can have total solitude.

I also camped on North Rim which is much less developed. It opens mid-May, and camping spots are hard to book, but you can always camp some 20km north in DeMotte; it is quiet, no crowds and it takes <30 min drive to the Rim. In the evening after the hike, I'd take a shower (coins) on the Rim, then drive back to DeMotte to 'bed'.

There is also Desert View on North Rim. It is first come first served and can't be booked. Location is spectacular and also close to some well established trails but much less hiked. This year it opens April 15 and according to some research I did chances are good throughout the season you can find the spot if you come early enough.

I admit I have a soft spot for Grand Canyon. It is such a unique wonder; lifetime could be spent exploring it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page