Does powdered milk go bad? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does powdered milk go bad?

OK, I know powdered milk is already bad, but....

I put powdered milk in my coffee when I am camping. So, here I am, preparing for an upcoming overnighter. I found some powdered milk in the cupboard, and noticed the best before date was April, 2004. I remember buying it around 2002. It is now January, 2006. I thought this kind of stuff lasted forever.

I don't really want to have to go out and buy more. Will it make me sick if I use it? (I smelled it, but I couldn't tell....powdered milk smells kind of foul at the best of times).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

According to the Red Cross website, powdered milk should be used within 6 months or it goes bad. It will stay fresh longer if it is stored in nitrogen packed cans,supposedly. So, if you've been noticing some strange odours in the kitchen
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mick....

OK that's gross. Given that information, it's going straight into the trash. Maybe since it's winter I'll bring actual liquid milk for my coffee.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Intermediate Member

Dry foods (powder, etc) can go stale if exposed to light, air, or moisture (humidity), but bacteria cannot grow by light alone. Obviously if it's a dry hard lump, throw it away... but if it's still light and fluffy (and no signs of "badness within"), it should be safe to consume. And although it might taste funny, it's not likely to make you sick... especially if you use it in something boiled (like hot chocolate). If it was sealed fairly air tight, and not exposed to moisture, it should be fine.

Funny story... My parents moved last november, and in the cleaning, my mother found some canned soup in the garage, that was dated very early 80's. Being the crazy person she is, she opened it up, boiled it up, and ate the soup (my father also agreed to try some). It tasted a bit bland, but no one got sick. I (of course) flat out refused to eat it.

I probably shouldn't have told that story, but whatever. lol
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

According to the Red Cross website, powdered milk should be used within 6 months or it goes bad. It will stay fresh longer if it is stored in nitrogen packed cans,supposedly. So, if you've been noticing some strange odours in the kitchen
How could I forget odors...

I've used powdered milk LOOOOONG after 6 months of it being opened (couple years, maybe). However, after 4 years, I too would throw it away.

Edit: Did you know that butter (once exposed to air) should not be left in a butter tray for more than 2 days, 1-2 weeks in the fridge, and it should be frozen before the 2 weeks if not consumed? I don't know ANYONE who goes through a brick of butter in a week. Crazy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Maybe it'll taste OK outside. Ever notice how something that tastes just fine when you're outdoors tastes terrible at home? I noticed that with powdered hummus mix. Tastes perfectly acceptable, even delicious outdoors after a day of hiking. But I tried it at home and it was disgusting. Same goes for the powdered milk. It's OK in coffee when you're camping. But one time I ran out of milk at home and substituted the powdered stuff. Bleah! I couldn't even drink it.

Conversely, something that already tastes amazing at home will blow you away outdoors.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Ever notice how something that tastes just fine when you're outdoors tastes terrible at home?
This would be my infamous rice pudding cooked in a ziplock bag. Which (coincidentally) is why I bought the powdered milk in the first place. Soooooooo good at camp, but most DEFINITELY a "do not try this at home" meal. SO gross.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM

my powdered milk went very bad. You will smell it when its bad so just take a whiff of it.

----------------------------------------
We used to microwave, Now we just eat nuts and berries.
Talking Heads
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to coffeecup
Make a coffee and try it out.

----------------------------------------
.in memory of those who served..........http://www.execulink.com/~kiska/FSSFHomepage.index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to hikeforhealth
Try out prepackaged individual servings of coffee that is "three in one". It has coffee, sugar and milk. I do not have a particular brand in mind but you can find them in the ethnic section in Superstore. In my opinion, the "three in ones" tastes much better than regular instant coffee with powered milk and sugar. They are really convenient; you just simply rip the little package and pour boiling water on top. Good for everyday use and excellent for camping/hiking. The packages really help keep the coffee tasting fresh and save you time and space. By the way, I think they are packed with soy milk. Haven't bought them for a while-couln't tell either if they were [].

By the way, they average around $3.99-4.50; there are lots of servings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page