Prime the Pump? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Hiking, photography,
Prime the Pump?

A hiker traveling in the scorching desert for days with no water;
dehydrated almost to the point of death comes across a well with a pump. Setting beside the pump is a large corked bottle of water.
A sign on the pump reads: "Pour every drop of water into the well to prime the pump. Once the pump is fully primed, pump all the water you need to fill your canteens. Then, refill the bottle of water, replace the cork and leave it for others.

Really think on this awhile. Would you follow the instructions?
Or, would you take the bottle of water and chug it, fill your canteens and go on your way?
You can't drink a little and try to prime the pump with only a partial bottle of water.
Remember, you are parched to the point of death.
Will the pump fail? How long has it been since primed?

Me? I'll answer in a little while....

OK, who's next?

----------------------------------------
May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Hiking, photography,
don't be shy...
15 reads so far and no opinions posted?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Life and death situation I wouldn't want to run the risk of the pump failing. Hopefully the next people were not as stupid as I was and bring their own water. I would return to fill the water later.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Good question

It's pretty hard to say, as I'm sitting here in my chair fully hydrated. I don't actually know what it'd be like to be so desperate for water, having never really been in the desert.

But I think I'd use the water to prime the pump. If I was that desperate, then I would know that if that fails, there would be another method to get water, like digging a pit and putting plastic over top with a rock in the middle, and a cup underneath.

Edward Abbey once said something to the effect of "People say there is not enough water in the desert - in fact there is just enough, no more, no less"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Interest: Anything outdoors.
I think I would just try the pump, before letting that water go.

Other than that I can't say what I would do. Being so dehydrated I wonder if a person would be able to think straight.

I know I have the conscience thing happening, and would have to leave water for the next person, so I'd say if the pump wasn't already working then I'd prime it - although if it failed then Im left with not only getting water for myself, but getting water for the next person too... what then?

Have to think on this more.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:39 PM

Another question. How big is the corked bottle of water?? If it's not enough to hydrate you then your only choice would be to prime the pump. I did not take that into account when I posted previously. I doubt anyone would be concerned about the next person (who was probably not as stupid as you and took water with them) to come along when you are "dying" of dehydration.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
quote:Pour every drop of water into the well to prime the pump. Once the pump is fully primed, pump all the water you need to fill your canteens
This does not make sense to me. Why would you prime the pump by putting water in the well? To raise the water level? If that's the case then you could drop a large rock down there. I have a feeling this is one of those "trick questions". Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time. Interested in Mules answer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if there might be something else to use to prime the pump? Like maybe you're carrying a gallon of vegetable oil?[}]

If I was truly desperate, I might just drink the water and leave it as is. Ya never know what you'll do until you get in that situation.

RM must have a solution. Come on now! Out with it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kman

Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time
I would be interested to hear the answer to this one too!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Interest: 4x4ing, fast cars, music, outdoors, nature photography, hiking, camping, skiing, movies.
Ever hear of the saying... "Survival of the fittest..."? Well, hard to say what you will do until you are in that situation. Unfortunately I'd have a difficult time leaving the bottle empty, as my concience gets the better of me.

Not all who wander are lost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page