Ultra-light 3-season 1 person tent recommendations - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Ultra-light 3-season 1 person tent recommendations

(There are already few tent related threads in Gear Forum, but neither addressed specifically my need so I'm starting this one)

During recent trip down south I finally had to toss my old tent. So I need new one. Specs I am looking for, in order of importance, are:

• Ultra Light weight
  • Space when packed: as small as possible
  • Durability
  • Easy to put up, quick to take down
  • 1-person, 3 season is fine

What I am considering:

1. MSR Hubba NX Atmosphere employee put it up for me in store; seemed ok, but assembly was too involved for my liking (I am probably spoiled by dead easy assembly of my old tent)

2. Nemo Hornet

3. REI Quarter Dome

I am looking for reviews on above 3 and possible recommendations for something else as well.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
(There are already few tent related threads in Gear Forum, but neither addressed specifically my need so I'm starting this one)

During recent trip down south I finally had to toss my old tent. So I need new one. Specs I am looking for, in order of importance, are:

• Ultra Light weight
  • Space when packed: as small as possible
  • Durability
  • Easy to put up, quick to take down
  • 1-person, 3 season is fine

What I am considering:

1. MSR Hubba NX Atmosphere employee put it up for me in store; seemed ok, but assembly was too involved for my liking (I am probably spoiled by dead easy assembly of my old tent)

2. Nemo Hornet

3. REI Quarter Dome

I am looking for reviews on above 3 and possible recommendations for something else as well.
Thanks in advance!
Here's what I have and it's served me well

I've told you this before, but here you go again
Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL

https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories..._id=1970120900

1KG. that should be light enuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
Here's what I have and it's served me well

I've told you this before, but here you go again
Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL

https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories..._id=1970120900

1KG. that should be light enuff
Sid, I remember our talk but this is not available online & sold out both in Banff and Calgary stores. Plus I kinda like Nemo

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:43 AM
Scaling New Heights

Do you need free standing or are you fine with old school style (and having to adjust tension)?

I bought a tarptent, made my own tarp tent, and have been quite happy with both of them. Yes, condensation can be an issue more than with double walled tents, but like with titanium pots and burning food, a bit of knowledge and a slight change in how you use them will mitigate this. I live on the west coast and have no problem with reaching for a tarptent in any season.

They do meet your criteria of light, small, durable and easy to put up.. the main knowledge you need (through practice) is staking out and adjusting tension, but setup itself can take under 2 minutes. Their enemies are tent platforms, or otherwise flat hard areas without rocks or other ways to anchor the lines. You also would need a set of trekking poles (though you can buy lightweight poles for most models).

If you take something like the Tarptent Notch (0.77 kg), you still get a double wall tent, with a removable inner that can be taken down separately and kept dry during heavy rainfall. I use the StratoSpire 2 (essentially a larger 2man version) myself.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 that I have been happy with, well under a kilo, mostly free standing (you have to stake out a couple corners by the foot box), double wall.

I had it up at Mt Assiniboine on Labor day a few years back and it was one of a small handful of tents in a packed campsite that didn't collapse under 6" of heavy wet snow. The tarp tents didn't survive so well.

Knocks are water gets in the vestibule/tent when you open the door in the rain (the door is heavily sloped), and if you are tall your bag might touch the bottom corners and get damp. Also its spendy but what isn't when it gets light and durable.

Its been discontinued https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-4...Creek-UL1-Tent but they of course have a new version.

Apparently they redesigned it to put in a more vertical door to solve the water issue. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-2...ek-HV-UL1-Tent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

A couple of other options to read into are the Marmot Bolt, or the LL Bean Microlight UL 2.
Both were rated quite high and received positive reviews from several sources.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

+1 for the Tarptent Notch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

https://vpo.ca/product/300590/hornet-2p-tent

I am planning to get one before this summer. For the weight you get some extra space as a 2p tent if you use just as 1p. It's still lighter than the big agnes copper spur ul1, and more room

The best signature ever
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

If the MSR hubba nx setup was too involved for you, any tarptent or non-freestanding tent are going to be even worst. I personally love my hubba nx. Not the lightest, but its pretty light, easy to set up, durable and stands up in strong winds, if you do purchase it through atmosphere make sure to sign up for their email list to get a 10% coupon
zeljkok likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I have several Tarptents as well as MSR, MH, and Hilleberg. I have issues. Anyway, the Notch sets up in about 1 minute despite being non freestanding. However it appears you may want freestanding.

In that case, have a look at the Tarptent Bowfin 1 (or upcoming 2). They are freestanding, double walled, with two vestibules and two doors (yes, even the 1 person version), can be ordered with a partially solid inner tent instead of all mesh, have a tall bathtub floor, and the inner clips to the fly just like a Hilleberg which means a dry set up in the rain. You can even unclip the inner and use the fly alone.

Why this over the MSR Hubba?

-More interior volume and head room.
-more usable length.
-sets up as one unit despite being double walled. Awesome in the rain or in windy conditions.
-has a higher hydrostatic head (waterproofness rating).
-is lighter by 8 oz.

It really is the better Hubba......
alpalmer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page