Hiking Boot Recommendations? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hiking Boot Recommendations?

Hey Mountain Friends,

Time has come to get some new backpacking/scrambling boots. I get up to a fair bit of off-trail 'schwacking, scrambling, general backpacking and ridge rambling. I have been wearing Zamberlan Vioz boots for awhile, but the vibram sole wore thru in 1.5 years (!!) with a hole thru the vibram, so that was a bummer. Even resoled, still leaks = weak.

Any tips? Looking at Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX or perhaps Miendl Perfekt (if my legs can get in shape to lift them ) Bonus points for boots that can deal with Rainy River FSR bushwhacking.

Thanks for any tips eh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

La Sportiva Nepal that's what I've been using since 2014 for rough terrain. However, even that the water proof ability only lasted for about 1 year (for my kind of use).. It's almost at the end of its lifespan now...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the tip StevenSong. Having a boot that retains it's waterproofness is definitely something I am looking for. I was bummed out that these Zamberlan still leaked even after resoling.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

I currently wear Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots. Love them, very sturdy, full grain leather uppers, Vibram sole, and they can also be re-soled if they wear out.
Been on many extended trips, Juan De Fuca, WCT, etc. With proper maintenance, these boots will last a VERY long time.

Edit: After a couple years, the waterproofing has been absolutely amazing. After a particularly muddy or wet hike, I clean them off, let them air dry, and use mink oil a couple times of year to protect the leather, while still allowing the Gore tex to breathe.

Last edited by pdomansky; 05-10-2017 at 12:37 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Nice pdomansky, thanks for the reply. Have you Asolo held up to consistent bushwhacking/off trail scree/talus pretty well? I forgot to check out Asolo options!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

You're welcome. They are awesome off trail bushwhacking, scree, shale. Done the Stein traverse with them, lots of peaks in the Chilliwack valley, Macguire, Cheam, Rexford, out in the Hope area, Needle peak , just to name a few. Really really happy with them once they finally broke in. I would certainly buy another pair after these wear out.

I know that MEC sells the cheap made in China version of these boots, and they will fall apart, so make sure that if you end up buying them, that you buy ones that are made in Romania. I ended up picking mine up at Skyview Outdoors in Surrey.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's page: https://www.asolo.com/en/products/ba...-chestnut.html

Here's a more in depth review as well: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/tps-520-gv/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I've been blown away with my Salewa Mtn Trainer Mid GTX boots. Over 3 seasons of hiking/scrambling they have kept my tootsies dry. Super light but stiff enough even for expedition use, Salewa calls them an "approach shoe for technical hiking and trekking".

Worth trying them out for fit if you like room in the front, unlike my old Sportivas which were always a bit too tight in the toes. FWIW, I keep them very clean but do not apply any additional waterproofing like silicone, etc., which I think just clogs up the Gore-Tex and defeats the purpose. Make in Vietnam if you care.
Attached Images

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I wear my hiking boots 300 days of the year...alpine, scree slopes and lots in the badlands.

For the last two years have worn Helley Hansen all leather waterproof. They are more or less as good as when I first put them on. Comfy, relatively light and room in the toe area.

Bottom line. Make sure they are comfortable.

Hint...go to the thrift stores and look at the shoe area. I have an assortment of hikers and never paid more than $12 for a new pair. Also check out the sports equipment. Last week our local Goodwill was stuffed with backpacking and climbing equipment... sleeping bags, harnesses, etc. All going for a few dollars. I got high end hiking poles for $5/pair, a Garmin GPS (needed batteries) and picked up a couple of thermorests I'll give to friends.

Last edited by Geopal; 05-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Parenting, Telemarking, Hiking

Last year I decided to try the advice of some section- and through-hikers of the great American trails who have abandoned their old-fashion hiking boots for trail runners. I've developed a system: trail runners w/Gore Tex + short gators + Microspikes. My trail runners are lighter than my hiking Tevas (sandals), and hiking uphill is now so much easier! I still have my mighty mountain boots for mid-winter glacier travel... but I'm never going back to hiking boots for most of the local conditions. I have lots to say about this, and I've posted a number of linked articles that begin here: Testing trail runners to replace hiking boots.

My old hiking boots are my friends that have stood on the tops of many of the local hills. I bought them in the 80s, and have had them re-soled twice. I understand that the trail runners are good for a maximum of 500 miles and then they will have to be replaced (not repaired). Ask me if you want to hear my rant about turning an ankle.

From my American friends who hike in warmer conditions, and maybe who are younger, there is an issue with sweaty feet. The Gore Tex liner keeps my feet dry... but I hear that with sweaty feet in hot conditions, some people prefer not to have the Gore Tex version. They say that if they tramp through a stream, or the runner gets wet in rain, a plain mesh upper will quickly dry itself. I'm happy with the waterproof breathable liner.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopal View Post

Hint...go to the thrift stores and look at the shoe area. I have an assortment of hikers and never paid more than $12 for a new pair. Also check out the sports equipment. Last week our local Goodwill was stuffed with backpacking and climbing equipment... sleeping bags, harnesses, etc. All going for a few dollars. I got high end hiking poles for $5/pair, a Garmin GPS (needed batteries) and picked up a couple of thermorests I'll give to friends.
And where do you live?

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page