All seasons 4 season tent? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default All seasons 4 season tent?

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I did search the forums and couldn't find any related topics. I'm sure I'm asking too much but I'm wondering if anyone has come across a 4 season tent that is ok for summer use in the areas surrounding vancouver? I have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX that I've been using in the summer but find it not so great in windy conditions and definitely not good in winter. I had a Mountain Hardwear EV2 that was great for higher altitudes in the winter but was useless in torrential downpours. You would think a 4 season tent would at least hold out rain but apparently not this one and since we get a lot of it here in the lower mainland, I ended up selling it. I would love to find a good 4 season tent that I could use year round in all conditions...basically a 4 season tent that is waterproof and has really good venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I have the REI Arete 2 tent, and it's okay for wet/summer use. I've slept in it fine through rains before. It's important to guy the fly out, though. The only thing is that it does get a bit hot on a warm, sunny day.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Thanks. I'll look into that one. I have a feeling I'm never going to find the ultimate true 4 season (all seasons) tent that I'll be happy with. Probably have to just have to stick to one for summer and one for winter.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

have you checked hilleberg tents? pricey and not free-standing but some of the best tents on the market. "black" or "red" label is 4/3+ season
Nallo 2 maybe?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING
Default check out Hilleberg Staika

big price but seems to have big features. don't own one but have been reading about it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I've already been looking at those. I really like the Nallo 2 GT. I also like the Tarra 2 person tent but it's getting a little heavier than I like. Not sure how vented these tents are though. I just want to be absolutely sure that it is waterproof after the problems I had with my Mountain Hardwear EV2. It seems like some 4 season tents aren't really designed for wet conditions like a full on rain storm. I believe some are designed more for snow where they won't get as wet as when it's raining. My EV2 was practically raining inside the tent when it was raining outside. I'm sure it would have been fine if the conditions were below freezing and snowing. I'm not too concerned on the price. I believe in spending more for better products that will do what I expect them to do and hopefully last a long time rather than spending less on something that I'm not as happy with and might not last as long...don't get me wrong, I know for a lot of products you are paying more just for the name.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 01:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyTuna View Post
I've already been looking at those. I really like the Nallo 2 GT. I also like the Tarra 2 person tent but it's getting a little heavier than I like. Not sure how vented these tents are though. I just want to be absolutely sure that it is waterproof after the problems I had with my Mountain Hardwear EV2. It seems like some 4 season tents aren't really designed for wet conditions like a full on rain storm. I believe some are designed more for snow where they won't get as wet as when it's raining. My EV2 was practically raining inside the tent when it was raining outside. I'm sure it would have been fine if the conditions were below freezing and snowing. I'm not too concerned on the price. I believe in spending more for better products that will do what I expect them to do and hopefully last a long time rather than spending less on something that I'm not as happy with and might not last as long...don't get me wrong, I know for a lot of products you are paying more just for the name.
Not sure why you keep comparing to EV2 - that is not a 4 season tent. It's a high altitude single wall tent, and I doubt it's rain proof whatsoever

Any double wall tent with any sort of seam sealing and a bathtub floor will be able to withstand a downpour.
Winter is different, most of the problem is condensation and snow loading.

Hilleberg are double walled tents with excellent ventilation and the different model lines like "black" have stiffer poles as well as thicker materials for snow and wind support. Red is very similar except with lighter materials, but still 4ish season.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowclimber View Post
Not sure why you keep comparing to EV2 - that is not a 4 season tent. It's a high altitude single wall tent, and I doubt it's rain proof whatsoever.
I guess when I bought it I figured that if it's going to rain anywhere, it's going to rain in the mountains therefore, even though it's a high altitude tent, it would at least be waterproof for that price. I see I'm not the only one who's made the same mistake. Just look at the youtube reviews.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Scaling New Heights

I have a mountain hardware hammerhead 2/3 and its fantastic as a 3+ season tent, and more than holds its own in the rain.
Its no longer in production i dont think though,
and is definitely on the heavier side.

that being said i love it and its my go to if i dont know what to expect weather wise.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I've been looking at the North Face Assult 2 tent. It will definitely be hotter and produce more condensation inside than my MSR Hubba Hubba NX but looks like it's got enough venting on the newer design to be ok for summer and winter... it's not like I'll be using it much during the day when it's hot anyway. It is also a "high altitude, single wall tent" like my EV2 was only this one is supposedly waterproof. I've got to do a little more research but this might be a good one for all seasons.
I also like that fact that it's fairly light.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page