Anyone but "jackets for Jasper'/ - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Im all about the Hikes!
Default Anyone but "jackets for Jasper'/

Anyone else get the email from DeepCove Outdoors about the "jackets for jasper",? Picked up one the other day. Great jacket. Well worth the price... not to mention the cause. I love companies that make choices like this. A reminder that there are companies out there that are still looking for good to do out there.

Cheers.
http://jacketsforjasper.com/

Ive lived here in paradise most of my life, I go hiking any chance I get, and one day Kilimanjaro I\'ll get you too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, biking, being outdoors

How much down is actually in the jacket? Just curios because if I do buy, this would make me a first-time down owner. Is the jacket really that warm, and is it more of a summer evening, fall, or winter jacket?

Thanks!

Colin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4567 View Post
How much down is actually in the jacket? Just curios because if I do buy, this would make me a first-time down owner. Is the jacket really that warm, and is it more of a summer evening, fall, or winter jacket?

Thanks!

Colin
They fail to list the fill power and type of down on their website. The jacket looks very similar to the Patagonia down sweater which I have. The patagonia has an 800 fill rating and goose down. Goose is better than duck down and the higher the fill rating the better loft and warmth however it is much more expensive. I don't know how well my jacket works in -20*C because it doesn't get that cold here. You can probably get by with the above jacket for fall and a mild winter. Like a lot of products, you get what you pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4567 View Post

Thanks!

Colin
It's pretty thin but for the price is still excellent value.
I only wear mine for active day-trips and in-bounds ski sessions because it often doesn't quite do it on its own in camp (unless paired with a great wooly baselayer).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi! This is Liz from Jackets for Jasper! I can't believe that people are talking about us on Club Tread: warms my heart

We had a great season this past year and are proud to say that we have managed to secure both Jasper and Resmi's school funding right through their college years with the support we received from Deep Cove Outdoors, the North Shore community and beyond.

If you're curious, the jackets are made in Kathmandu by Rajan and his family and team of tailors (http://jacketsforjasper.com/blogs/ma...eet-your-maker). The jackets were designed to be light and warm and cozy, but not too heavy so that west-coasters can throw a rain jacket overtop without overheating. In colder temperatures (below ~0°), the jacket is best used as a layer like a fleece would. Warmer than 0 they're good as out outer layer.

The down we have used to date was purchased by Rajan from an importer in the Kathmandu market without any technical specifications available other than "goose down from China". Now that it has all been used up, Rajan is trying to source down more directly from a manufacturer so that he can obtain more consistent quality from batch to batch and will know the fill-power rating and hopefully can be confident in humane sourcing of the down. So, in 2015/16 season, we hope to have much more info about the down in our jackets.

Thanks 'Seegs' and 'little boots' for sharing your feedback about Jackets for Jasper! Happy Trails!

Liz Leboe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Im all about the Hikes!

Thanks Liz.

Ive lived here in paradise most of my life, I go hiking any chance I get, and one day Kilimanjaro I\'ll get you too!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page