BioLite Stove - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

BioLite Stove

Any one have any other info on this product? Seems like a cool idea.

http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have any info on the specific product but I understand the underlying technologies and it looks like an awesome idea. I can't wait to see the pricing/availability info next spring.

I doubt I would use the charging capabilities very much. 1 Watt for the duration of time that I am cooking dinner doesn't amount to much energy. I'd be happy if they dropped that feature to make it lighter.

If I had access to a workshop I'd be very tempted to make my own.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like a great idea for a basecamp or home in the third world. As a person who uses a wood burning stove occasionally on some camping trips, I think the size and weight of even the backpacking model of the Biolite is prohibitive. It would be lighter to carry a lwt solar charger or even a Minty Boost with a regular stove.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Intermediate Member

Too heavy for me ,but what a wonderfull piece of technology!@
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Looks like a great idea for a basecamp or home in the third world. As a person who uses a wood burning stove occasionally on some camping trips, I think the size and weight of even the backpacking model of the Biolite is prohibitive. It would be lighter to carry a lwt solar charger or even a Minty Boost with a regular stove.
I think the main advantage isn't the charging functionality, but the built-in fan that is powered by thermoelectrics using the heat of the fire.

Based on your experience with wood burning stoves, would that make a big difference?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
The fan makes a HUGE difference in mini-wood-stove operation. This would be a super ultra-long distance tool where the majority of your cooking weight is fuel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

The fan is pretty significant to wood stove operation but the Biolite is 10oz heavier that the Sierra Zip. That's a lot of AA batteries worth of difference ~11 batteries worth...as johngenx says, it may pay off over very long trips but not over the short term.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM

http://biolitestove.com/CampStove.html

Taking pre-orders now. 2 lbs is a fair bit of weight for a stove, I must say. Price is decent at $129. The notion of the charger is appealing for cycle touring. I would like to know what kind of energy it is actually producing, though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Women
While checking out this weeks hot tech gadgets I seen the first one on the list is this Biolite Stove:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/sci...ending#slide=1
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

While checking out this weeks hot tech gadgets I seen the first one on the list is this Biolite Stove:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/sci...ending#slide=1
But still no detail on charge times. Which is the only way I could justify that weight. When I'm cycle touring it'd be worth it to me to use it as stove if I could keep a phone relatively charged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page