I love you MEC - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I love you MEC

So I've had this pack sitting in my closet since the day I bought it about 2 years ago, I've forgotten about it many times and the g/f has been on my case to do something about it so I took it back to MEC to see what they could do for me. Turns out, they gave me a full credit! I've been impressed with MEC even before this, but this cements me as a life-long customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spacemonkey

So I've had this pack sitting in my closet since the day I bought it about 2 years ago, I've forgotten about it many times and the g/f has been on my case to do something about it so I took it back to MEC to see what they could do for me. Turns out, they gave me a full credit! I've been impressed with MEC even before this, but this cements me as a life-long customer.
Yeah they are awesome for returns, even with missing packaging or if they won't be able to sell it for full price they always seem to take it back.

Then if there's something wrong with it they really hook the next person up. I just picked up a scratched Camp Corsa Nanotech axe there for $75. It was like new except for a scratch on the paint.

A lot of times you can get stuff there at the same price as US online retailers too. You won't hear any complaints about them from me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Want to hear an even better MEC return story?

I had a pair of Fritschi AT bindings, that were about three years old, develop a crack in the toe mounting plate. I contacted MEC and ordered the replacement part. They sent me the upper toe unit, with no mounting plate. I replied with a photo of the damaged part and asked how one removes the toe pivot pin. The reply was that the pivot pin is fixed permanently at the factory and couldn't be fixed. I jokingly replied that if they couldn't provide the part, for me to fix it, or provide a shop that could fix it, then maybe they should replace it.

To my surprise MEC said "OK, we'll replace it, no charge". I then said that I was thinking of changing over to Dynafit bindings and asked if I could get a pair of them instead... "Yes" was the response. I thought I'd see how far this would go and said that since my Fritschi ski brakes & ski crampons wouldn't fit the new Dynafits, would they throw them it too? "Yes" was the reply!

This is where it really gets good... MEC then contacted me and said they had a pair of Dynafit bindings that had been used once and the plastic toe lever had a few scratches and if I would accept them, that they would give me back $140.! I said "you bet" and then bought a new pair of $700 skis from MEC and had them mount the Dynafit bindings on them. When I received my new bindings mounted on the new skis, the toe pieces were new, with no scratches!

Needless to say that I am a loyal member to MEC and have been a member for many years and have spent tens of thousands of dollars at MEC over the years and that may well be a factor in my more than fair treatment... I don't know. MEC does have one member, at least, that will be loyal and do most of their purchases through them... me!

Peter

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

That's a crazy story Peter. By contrast, I used to work for Europe Bound about 12 years back, and the owner there would literally get into screaming matches with customers when they would bring back new & unused gear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM

I find MEC floor staff to be hit and miss. Some are friendly and helpful (whether knowledgeable or not); others are the typical snotty kids type: unhelpful, condescending, obnoxious, (regardless of age)!

But the MEC return desk staff has never been anything but excellent, the few times I've returned things.

By far the time that impressed me most, was when I had bought some trek poles at Monods. The next day, on a mild scramble, one pole completely bent on the last segment. I had NOT been doing anything unusual, and I was a very disappointed.(this was in fact the first pole I've ever bent). When I arrived in Calgary a few days later, I called Monod's and inquired whether they could help me. I did not demand anything, I simply asked if there was a policy that could help me, or at the least, if I could buy a replacement bottom segment from them. The manager came on the line and told me no. Talk to Black Diamond. Nothing at all we can do. "Some people do stupid things. Like prop the poles in car doors, or try to put all their weight solely on one pole while doing something awkward." I laughed at the car door mention, but then she said "we don't know what you've been doing with them". (not in a very jovial manner) I don't mind if the store won't replace them, but this phrase(along with the anecdotes) annoyed me slightly, since their was the implication that *I* must have been doing something strange. I assured her, I knew what the general expectations of poles are, and I had not been using them in an unusual manner. But I was not going to get upset by this, so I simply asked if they might replace this last segment with one from another pole; I would pay for the part, and they could get the part from BD? (particularly helpful, since I don't live in Calgary or Banff, and so there was really no way I could get parts from BD until well after this trip, and I hoped to be using them over the next few weeks) Nope. OK, thanks.

A few days later, while at the MEC Calgary, I stopped by the desk there, explained the situation (to a guy I remember as fairly tall with glasses and curly hair), and asked if by some chance they had carried the same pole(I knew it wasn't in their current catalog), or might be able to get parts. "No, we don't carry that model...but hmm...maybe one of the segments from one our BD models will fit....do you have it with you?"

I went out to my car, got the pole, and off he merrily went. 15 min. later he emerged, announced that the BD parts hadn't fit, but that a segment from another old pole they had lying around had worked! We laughingly noted that the colors even matched roughly, and oddly enough, the way he had fitted it together, it is now both a snap lock AND a screw lock! Price: no charge.

Again, I hadn't even purchased it from them. Fantastic.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Want to hear an even better MEC return story?

Needless to say that I am a loyal member to MEC and have been a member for many years and have spent tens of thousands of dollars at MEC over the years and that may well be a factor in my more than fair treatment... I don't know. MEC does have one member, at least, that will be loyal and do most of their purchases through them... me!

Peter
That's the thing, treat people well and they will keep coming back again and again and again...

Treat them crap and they'll never set foot through the door again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Intermediate Member

I have had great service from MEC as well. I purchased a 3 ply goretex jacket from them back in the days when 3-ply was pretty new - '93 or so? Three years later, there was a small area near the cuff that seemed to be delaminating - the rest of the jacket was still in perfect condition except for the usual dirt from lots of use. I took it back to see what they could do about repairing it. Well, without me even asking, they replaced the jacket right away. I am a customer for life.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spacemonkey

That's a crazy story Peter. By contrast, I used to work for Europe Bound about 12 years back, and the owner there would literally get into screaming matches with customers when they would bring back new & unused gear.
The one across from MEC on King Street? I remember that owner. []
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

No, here in Van. They were on Dunsmuir at the time.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spicytuna
The one across from MEC on King Street? I remember that owner. []
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Intermediate Member

Peter -

Perhaps with just a little bit spin you could have got yourself a like ticket too!

I had a really good experience with Black & Decker and have told the story many times. Too bad more companies don't do the right thing and reap the PR that money can't buy!

Happy Sliding,

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page