Ordering skis online from U.S. - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, skiing, cycling
Ordering skis online from U.S.

As a somewhat frequent consumer of goods via Steep and Cheap I've never had to pay duty on any items I've ever received. Now I'm looking at buying skis online from the U.S.

Has anyone had any experience ordering skis online from the U.S.? It's my understanding that skis are duty free as long as they are made in a preferred trading partner country. Which the skis I am looking at are. I just don't want to be dinged with duties if I am not supposed to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Intermediate Member

i ordered a pair of skis last season and had them shipped to blaine where i picked them up . if you are bringing back goods over your exemption limit, you will need to pay GST and PST on the PRICE YOU PAID (not the actual value of the goods), and downhill skis and ski boots are duty free. keep in mind that xc skis, snowboards and "other" skis have 7.5% tariff.

see section XX, ch 95-4, 9505.11 Skis at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...9/ch95-eng.pdf
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Intermediate Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by willis

As a somewhat frequent consumer of goods via Steep and Cheap I've never had to pay duty on any items I've ever received.
if you have the goods shipped to your home in canada, Steep and Cheap usually includes the tariff in the shipping charge so the duty is prepaid. thus, you're not asked to pay it when it arrives at your door. that's often why their shipping is more expensive (but the net savings is well worth it ).
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, skiing, cycling
Thanks for the information Quirkygal.

I wonder though, if there is no duty on skis then why not just have them shipped directly into Canada? Other than cheaper shipping costs what are the benefits to having them shipped to Blaine?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Intermediate Member

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing
We pay 6.5% duties on Downhill ski's (Black Diamond and Dynafit) There is 0% Duties on plastic ski boots.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
JP

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Valhalla

We pay 6.5% duties on Downhill ski's (Black Diamond and Dynafit) There is 0% Duties on plastic ski boots.
"9506.11 - -Skis - 9506.11.10 00 - - -Downhill PAR Free"

Should be free!?!?!

I've never paid duty on skis I've imported. Be sure to ask shipper to label as "downhill" so there's no confusion at the border when someone has to wonder if something labelled a "touring" ski is XC or downhill.

Now brokerage fees . . . that's another topic. See previous threads on this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Remember that duty is one thing and taxes (you will have to pay) and other brokerage fees are another. Depends on how it is shipped.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

I checked with my people on the duties:
Quote:
quote:Snowboards - NOT made in the US - 7.5% duty, plus 5% GST, plus 7% PST - all based on the CDN dollar value.
Skis - regardless of origin - all duty free, plus 5% GST, plus 7% PST - all based on the CDN dollar value.
As previously noted, you will have to pay GST and/or PST depending on which province you live in. (No PST in Alberta for example).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page