Grommets for Tyvek footprint? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Grommets for Tyvek footprint?

Through the beauty of freecycle.org I have ended up with a roll-end of tyvek. I am planning to cut it up into a couple of footprints for my tents. For people who have experience with doing this... did you attempt to attach grommets so that it could be used like a factory footprint can? Do you have any other system for attaching tie down points, etc.? I know the conventional wisdom is to just cut it slightly smaller than the floor of the tent and call it a day but I am looking to try my hand at something slightly fancier and need advice. I don't want to cut this stuff up before I know if I should leave extra room for tie down attachments etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't added grommets to mine but I have a suggestion for when you do. Make sure you have cut , crumpled, and washed it first so that it's going to be more flexible when you try it. Otherwise there is a chance that the Tyvek might rip or tear.

----------------------------------------
"Got a gear idea? Drop me a line, hb@clubtread.com"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

Interest: climbing and spraying
tyvek doesn't make for very good footprints imo... it will leak under pressure. then you will find it makes a puddle between the tyvek and the tent

Don't become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish…
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

Dru, thanks for offering up the first negative thing I've heard about tyvek footprints. It's good to know. I have a relatively new MSR Hubba Hubba and don't want to spend the money on the factory footprint. The tyvek was free so I'm trying it out. I think I'll primarily end up using the footprint to protect the tent bottom from abrasion rather than water. We'll see though... the factory footprint isn't that much money... I just don't want to pay to carry more weight.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

there was a discussion of tyvek used as tarps, tents and footprints on cascadeclimbers.com a year or two ago and that's where i heard about its low water resistance. something like 80mm h20 where a coated tent has a water penetration resistance of over 2000mm h20...

what i was told is that they use it (tyvek) in the housing industry for vertical walls where the water will be trickling down, just to keep it from soaking in. not on floors or roofs where the water will pond. someone else said that if you kneel on tyvek on muddy ground or wet grass, that that is enough pressure that your knees will get wet, from water wicking through the tyvek to your pressure-exerting knees.

Don't become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish…
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Nis
Intermediate Member

Interest: Gettin out, Hiking, 4x4ing, Bit of Biking, workin on the truck, and of course drinkin beer!
yea, good building paper leaks through after 60 minutes of continuous water and I don't think tyvex is much better than that.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM

If you're on a budget you might want to consider hitting one of the discount fabric places for coated nylon.
I've picked up some really ugly coloured stuff for less than a few bucks a yard & it's really light (but again, definately not fashion material).
Stitch it together, seam seal the stitching, add grommets & you've got a tarp/footprint for ~$10.00.
The GF uses them as beach mats on rocks & sand & use them as tarps after...still no leaks..I'm amazed.

PS: I've found my best(1954 Singer)sewing machine in a dumpster!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member

I just realized that I have access to a Suter tester (it measures at what pressure the fabric begins to leak). The Suter test is commonly used for testing clothing (gore-tex, etc.) while the water column test is mostly used for tents (because it gives bigger numbers that sound more impressive to consumers). Anyway, apparently 1000mm water column test is equivalent to about 1.4psi on the Suter test. I will perform some experiments tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

It's interesting that after all the hype on tyvek as a footprint on this site a few years ago it's really not all its cracked up to be. I'd be interested to know if anyone on CT that has been using a tyvek footprint for awhile would like to weigh in on this issue.

As well, my MSR HH comes with a floor that is rated to 5000mm (compared to most MEC tents that come with a coating of 10,000mm). Should I maybe get some aftermarket gear waterproofing spray and add that to it or is it not going to make a big difference? The tent is really only 3 months old.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Dru
Advanced Member

it's probably fine for a lightweight abrasion resistant footprint when pitched on dry ground - but i think i'd want to have another footprint for camping on damp ground or in heavy rain?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Forget about the footprint altogether. [}] Drive your tent till it's dead. [xx(]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page