4Likes
  • 3 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Little Lougheed

Jan 7

1st summit of 2017. Was looking for something quick due to low temps and short amount of daylight. Trip is described in excellent "Snowshoeing in the Canadian Rockies" by Andrew Nugara, but seeing stable snow cover I left snowshoes in the car and booted up the whole thing. Ascent poses no difficulties, but it is not entirely straightforward. Main obstacle is large boulder field in the lower part; I've seen online reports suggesting most parties decide to clamber up, but it is far easier to ascend ridge to climber right. This ridge is easy scrambling at most & has 1 mildly exposed spot, but otherwise provides much better footing. Followed single tracks in upper part, but they stopped at treeline (why?) so I made my own path up final talus slope. This slope could potentially slide under right snow conditions, but for me it was just a thin cover that made things fairly awkward from stability viewpoint. Ankle roll or worse was distinct possibility, so I took my sweet time on descent and came down unscratched. Fabulous views throughout, and wind-free so despite cold temps it was very comfortable trip. Hiking time 4.5 hrs + ~20 min for photo taking.

Photo story:

[Fabulous views North while ascending the ridge above the boulder field; about 1hr from Spencer creek. Big Sister center right]

[Upper part of the ascent; Climb ridgeline curling to the left, then ascend forested slopes. Summit is upper center left; Mt. Lougheed to the right]

[Fantastic views of Mt. Sparrowhawk to the right; all that was needed was avalanche release down that huge cliff for something really special from visual perspective]

[Views north from the summit. Big Sister and Rimwall - both Kane scrambles - center right; West Wind Pass far right]

[Imposing Lougheed Towers from the summit]

[Fabulous colors on descent as sun sets behind Mt. Nestor]

Full trip details, including many more high-res photos, map and downloadable GPS track here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lougheedtowers.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	816.4 KB
ID:	189538  

Name:	ridge.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	189546  

Name:	sparrowhawk.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	189554  

Name:	viewnorthridge.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	189562  

Name:	summitridgenorth.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	189570  

solo75, lobo and Trail Talk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Scaling New Heights

Gorgeous! As always I am impressed by your dedication to scrambling in all seasons. How cold was it yesterday?

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks!
Temperature -- think around -12 to -15 Celsius, but windless. Could not sit long on summit though & quickly got cold even with thick down jacket.
SarcasticMarmot likes this.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Not so much snow, interesting... If I ever get out from a nest of partly unpacked boxes I may need to go get out there this week. Great photos as ever.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks Phil; yes, very little snow. Several peaks around looked in great shape for boots only ascent -- Windtower and Rimwall for instance. It might change after this snowfall right now.

For your level of fitness I estimate Little Lougheed to be 5 hrs max incl drive time (back and forth) from Canmore.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page