Skoki-Lost Hiking Poles - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: the Lord Jesus, scrambling, Lego
Default Skoki-Lost Hiking Poles

Here we go again! Zeljko should get a kick out of this... I left my hiking poles, brand-new, used only one day (!) in the parking lot of Skoki. I was parked nearest the gate - either two or three stalls away from the gate. Black Diamond brand. Sadly, I may have even driven over them as I exited the parking lot.

Since I'm here, I may as well make a brief trip report. I apologize in advance that there are no photos to accompany this trip report. Suffice it to say, it was a glorious day - even perfect. Blue skies, clouds when you needed them, perfect temperature - even warm and no wind until the end of the day.

Saturday's objectives were (in order): 1) Fossil Mountain 2) Skoki Mountain and 3) Oyster Peak (with traverse). I only met six hikers during this nearly 14 hour trip. I would have thought that Skoki would have been much more busy on a beautiful weekend but I guess I was wrong.

According to one edition of the GemTrek maps, I saw a route off of Oyster's south peak leading down to Oyster Lake. On the strength of that observation, I did find my way down off the peak (with difficult scrambling) to the lake on some very decent descending scree followed by more difficult rolling scree on concrete followed by a short but easy bushwhack out to the path and on to Baker Lake and out.

Talk about outstanding views from all three peaks! Oyster Peak was easily my favorite part of the day - lots of good scrambling possibilities at both summits and a great rocky ridge walk separating the two. The last summit register entry at the North (true summit) was August 24. I guess I'm easily amazed but I would have thought more parties would be ascending this wonderful mountain.

OK Zeljko, let me have it!

Regards,

Granticulus

Last edited by Granticulus; 09-13-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granticulus View Post

OK Zeljko, let me have it!

Regards,

Granticulus
LOL. No, actually I feel bad you keep losing your gear.

Same happened to me once (left poles on parking lot after the hike). Never recovered. So I have mental habit now, after I've changed and ready to drive off, I walk once around the car and check there is nothing left. This paid off couple of times!

Nice report btw, would have enjoyed to see some photos.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I was in Skoki yesterday and saw a pair of poles on the trail just beyond temple lodge. They were planted upright in soft earth. They were new looking black colored black diamonds. I decided to leave them in case they were dropped by someone on the way in. Didn't notice them on the way out, but I wasn't looking.

I don't know if you might have actually dropped the poles on the trail, if someone "borrowed them" from the lot, or they belong to somebody else.

If i would have seen this a day earlier...

In any case, it might be worth a hike back to check to see if they are still there. The larches are turning, anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Lol, thanks Mike! That was them...right where I stashed my bike (which is why I didn't notice leaving them behind). I though I left them in the lot but reading your post...

I wonder what I would have done if I had noticed that I left them on the trail once I returned to my car. I was so tired, I don't know if I would've gone back!

Hmmmm...a whole week...not counting on getting them back.

Thanks, anyway!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

14 hours for all three... No wonder why I couldn't keep up with you on Northover trip... Nice work dude.

It took me 14 hours for just Oyster and Skoki.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
14 hours for all three... No wonder why I couldn't keep up with you on Northover trip... Nice work dude.

It took me 14 hours for just Oyster and Skoki.
Lol! From what I recall, I was chasing you unsuccessfully until the very end when your exertions from the previous three days (Wapta, Yukness & Whyte) finally caught up with you!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granticulus View Post
Lol! From what I recall, I was chasing you unsuccessfully until the very end when your exertions from the previous three days (Wapta, Yukness & Whyte) finally caught up with you!

From the side, this is quite funny actually. I had chance to hike with Grant(iculus) once, and well - thing that comes to mind is Energizer battery - "just keeps on going". Haven't hiked with Steven -- he invited me several times, but I always turned him down - because I felt intimidated, or inadequate. So between the 2 of you, not sure where my money would be. Steven is younger though, and I still can't believe that back to back Sky Pilot+Co-pilot / Castle Towers. But I have a feeling Grant(iculus) can run for days on fumes if required. So it's a toss up!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page