Silveretta 404's Q? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Silveretta 404's Q?

I have an old AT setup that I've had for years. I was wondering if the sloppy rails are common on 404's? I have used duct tape and zip ties in the past to help tighten them up. Think I'm going to clean everything up and replace with hose clamps.

Is the tension bars supposed to be offset like that? I'm no ski guy but it looks like whoever owned these before wasn't either.

Any ideas or suggestions? Mods I should be doing? Problematic things to look for?

Only ever used to haul small children around on a pulk. I have a potential trip in mind that is mostly travel (26km each way), no downhill to really speak of.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_154551.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	190825  

Name:	20170122_154631.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	926.9 KB
ID:	190833  

Name:	20170122_161614.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	954.0 KB
ID:	190841  

Name:	20170122_174913.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	914.0 KB
ID:	190849  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I personally can't offer any advice or knowledge, but if no one here is able to help, you might have some luck at http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Looks like your Silvretta's are falling apart but hose clamp will hold the rails nicely. Make clamp flat underfoot. I would also lower DIN to 6 or 7 the max. Otherwise if you slip, binding will not release.

They will be perfect for pulling sled on flats.
It is impossible to ski even easy slopes in this boots. No shin support. Be careful where you are going. Some alpinists tie prussic from tip of the ski under the bent knee to make some downhill turns in alpine.

It's challenging to do it. I had my Silvretta's 404s on short Hagan skis but I used my Dynafit boots. Never mountaineering boots! I even skied Big White once! People were giving me strange looks on the chair. :-) Modern Dynafit Radicals and Sivretta 404. Weird! Like my young ski friend dating Ms. Betty White! Lol!

Very old school bindings. I believe warranty on Silvretta's 404 expired in 1998?

Zoran

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The sloppy part about the rails are that in the past the brakes have twisted abit under load. I tele styled out of Seymour once in these, only reason I know of the rail flex. Kids looked at me like I was an 8 track player. Ha!
The bindings themselves are fairly solid. Skins are good. The boots will have to do, I'm not walking around in hard shells +they aren't crampon compatible.

I'm wanting to go do a ski in ice fishing trip in the Okanogan. All logging road slogging and maybe some playtime in the adjacent cutblocks. I'm waiting on BC Parks and the summer caretakers to get back to me whether the wood stove has been put back in the shelter. I'm not sure what is going on with BC Parks but removing a heat source from a remote shelter seems like a bad call.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I used to have a set of 404s that I used with leather climbing boots to access ice climbing areas... long slogs on snow covered roads, just like your proposed ice fishing trip. Perfect binding for the job.

I don't recall my bindings having any slop, but I can certainly imagine that any sort of torsional force on them, especially in touring mode, could lead to that.

For the DIN, as Zoran suggests, I would dial them back to the lowest setting that doesn't result in any unexpected releases, even in touring mode.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page