Grouse, Cypress or Seymour pass? - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Grouse, Cypress or Seymour pass?

The mountain passes will be soon be selling for early discount and I was wondering which pass I should buy if I'm only planning to snowshoe this winter?

Which of these local mountains have the best to offer as far as recreational snowshoeing and snowshoe racing goes? I plan to have my own pair of snowshoes and will not be renting equipment.

By the way, what's up with Grouse? They send an email saying there will be a discount to renew exisiting passes and then when I try to renew they say I'm too late, they have a limit on it. This was not mentioned o the mail and there was no "time-limited" offer. Grrr, they've been rubbing me the wrong way with their greedy money grabbing all year.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

The Mt. Seymour Ski Hill trails are not worth touching however you don't need a special pass to snowshoe in the prov park right next to the ski hill. You do need to pay that infernal prov park parking fee now though! I really like the trail to Dog Mountain and the ajoining loop around Dinky Peak.

I don't think the $70/season is worth it for Cypress either. The trails very boring and unchallenging!

The Grouse Mountain Pass is worthwhile. The backcountry on Grouse is very nice snowshoe terrian and they hold races up there too!

Plan the hike, hike the plan...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:38 AM

You might want to think about what your personal feelings are about the Grouse Mountain "Wildlife Refuge" before you make your decision. Personally, I have a hard time spending money there knowing that those bears could have been (and in my opinion SHOULD have been) rehabilitated and released back into the wild. I just don't think its right.

Here's what you can expect from the Provincial Park on Seymour: http://groups.msn.com/spidergirlbc/m...ourwinter.msnw. I love it up there... especially in the winter.

Elfin Lakes is another excellent snowshoe trail in a Provincial Park: http://www.mountaingirl.net/elfin2003/photos.htm. Its a little further than just driving to the North Shore but well worth it.

A little further up the road, you have the Garibaldi Lake Trail: http://www.mountaingirl.net/garibaldi0403/photos.htm. I snowshoed this one in March so there wasn't snow for the first 4km but there was plenty up higher.

http://www.mountaingirl.net

The Mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

On Cypress,you can still take the public access trail up Hollyburn Mountain without paying to use the designated snowshoe trails.Also,I'm not sure they can charge you to use the Baden Powell either,which links to the Old Strachan Trail and the Hollyburn Trail.If someone knows more I'd appreciate any info....Mick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Mick's right about Cypress. The "good" trails don't require the pass. Also, the same with Seymour. I wouldn't waste my money on that family loop. You can access the Seymour summits without paying the fee. I should mention that the Seymour trail was probably the one I wouldn't take my snowshoes on. I had a way better time in my crampons. I cruised past lots of people sliding around on the ice. It is such a popular trail, it gets pounded down alot. Grouse isn't too bad, but I don't recall having to buy a pass last year - just the cost to use the gondola.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm quite interested in doing Seymour this winter,so maybe I'll score some crampons.Have you done Lynn Peak in the snow,and ,if so,with what footwear? Mick

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

I bought my Grouse pass a couple of weeks ago when they had that deal on ($35), and all the proceeds went to Lions Gate Hospital foundation. They had a "promo" on a couple of months ago, but I didn't see any advantage to getting one at that time. The snowshoeing is pretty good, but I think there are more places to snowshoe on Cypress. The one thing I do like about Grouse is that you don't waste gas driving up the big hill.

As far as Lynn Peak goes, we were up there a couple of years ago after it dumped snow in the city, but the trail was still so packed down that hiking boots were fine.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'll second the Elfin lakes suggestion as a great place to snowshoe. Manning also offers some great snowshoeing and if you're really adventurous, you could go down to Baker and do Artist Point.

With regards to the Grouse Mountain Wildlife Refuge, I'm no expert on wildlife rehab but I'm sure glad we had some place to raise those orphaned bears rather than watching them die. It's nice to see them grown up to the point where they could be transferred to some larger habitat near Golden.

Plan the hike, hike the plan...

Edited by - Hiker Boy on 09/21/2003 4:47:06 PM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Two very experienced wildlife biologists in Nelson, BC had offered to take the bears, rehabilitate them and release them into the wild. There was a lot of controversy about this at the time.

http://www.mountaingirl.net

The Mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

I snowshoed Artist Point the week after Mt Baker skihill was closed to skiers. We had a winter's paradise - empty trails, empty parking lot, sunshine... marvelous.

My question: is snowshoeing to Artist Point possible during the ski season? Or is it best to wait till April, after the hill operations close, to come out and play?

cheers - C Wall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page