I've noticed something... - ClubTread Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes
I've noticed something...

it used to be that pretty much no one wore a helmet while skiing. now, when I was at sunpeaks over x-mas, about 50% of the people do. I'm one of them, mostly because I wouldnt go at that speed on my bike without one on, so why are skiis so much diferent. any insight why saftey is now the cool thing to do?

Bring back Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Interest: Women
I always wondered why Kamakazees wore helmets

Better safe than sorry!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
quote:any insight why saftey is now the cool thing to do?
I don't know, but when I was a kid virtually nobody wore helmets on their bicycles either, and now I would feel really vulnerable without one.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Interest: Having Fun!
Yes it is interesting as we have watched in the last 15 years as bike helmets and ski helmets have gone from "only the dorks where helmets" to "only the dorks DON'T wear helmets"
If even if it is the law it is peoples freedom to do what they want but since it cost the govenment about $400,000 per year for a person who has a spinal cord incedent a helmet is a smart idea for any sport. I am all for pushing the limits however BC see way to many head traumas and I think if your injured without one your medical bills should come out of your pocket book. Kind of like if you choose to smoke...no lung cancer medical for you...
Hlemets are smart, comfortable and now COOL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running
This is a phenomenon that has affected all sports and has not required regulation. When I was a kid, there were still goalies in the NHL who didn't wear face masks and nobody wore helmets. Now masks are universal, helmets are worn by the vast majority and additional items like face shields are common place.

Look at cycling: a few years ago, none of the pros on the Tour de France wore helmets for road stages, now almost all do. Or downhill mountain biking: full helmets with face protection are standard.

It's partly just safety consciousness but it's also (I think) due to the advent of better materials and designs. Effective, light & comfortable helmets are available where this didn't used to be the case. Taking bike helmets as an example, 20 years ago about the only helmet that offered substantial protection was a huge, heavy and poorly ventilated beast made by Bell that made the wearer look like a mushroom on wheels.

The advent and popularity of "extreme" sports may also be a factor. Ski films used to feature folks doing big turns down untouched powder slopes. If somebody fell, they would get snow down their neck. Now it's all about jumping massive cliffs and racing sluff down mega-steep slopes. The young, cutting edge guys and gals grabbing the attention are wearing helmets because it would be just plain insane not to. And if the image setters wear helmets, then it must be OK (nor dorky) for everyone else.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Interest: Hiking, music, art, wood working, hockey. Any thing that takes too much time, effort, space and money.
With the advanced technology I find that ski helmets regulate temperature better then a toque. Oh, and they provide safety when falling or hitting trees…
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 AM

Interest: Having Fun!
Actually people have needed regulation. All though I do not agree that it should be the law. Bike helmet usage really made a bike leep when the law to wear one was introduced. Education was a big step but the law helped with the older crowd who never wore them as kids.
In the pro peleton of cycling the reasone they wear them now is because they recieve heavy fines if thye don't. Also sponsorship dictates this to them and other groups as well.
It does not matter how people get on board with wearing helmets, it is just a good idea. I do a lot of slide shows in schools to young people and they have grown up with them so they know how important they are. The only group hard to convince is the older crowd who you see on the seawall in-line skating with pads on their elbow, knees but no helmet. Where is the logic in that. I guess they don't mind that they could be a vegetable as long as their wrist, knees and elbows look pretty!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM

the thing that gets me is with everything else you buy tv , video lap top , car, when it breaks doing its job, you can get it either repaired or replaced under warrenty, helmets - you gotta go out and get a new one if you damage it while its protecting your noggin , no fare !
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobdep

the thing that gets me is with everything else you buy tv , video lap top , car, when it breaks doing its job, you can get it either repaired or replaced under warrenty, helmets - you gotta go out and get a new one if you damage it while its protecting your noggin , no fare !
its simple. how much do you trust an anonomous minimum wadge worker? with you life? probably not. with your TV? sure, why not. (car is the exception, mechanics make good money, therefore you get good service, hopefully)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Intermediate Member

Interest: trail clearing
A great editorial in the Globe and Mail yesterday on this very subject.
It seems that there is a move afoot to put in a law requiring helmets for toboganing and sledding.
Statistical probability of dying of a head injury in one of these activities 1/50,000,000.
The most dangerous part of any sport is driving to the location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ClubTread Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page